Wednesday, January 2, 2008

My Shadow in the Sun, Part Eleven

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Slash Fiction
Rating: Mature Content

LINK TO PART ONE: http://jrosemary.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-shadow-in-sun.html

~

"That boy needs to get laid," Sean commented as he collapsed onto my couch.

I grinned. "Probably," I said, falling into the armchair.

Jeremy had left as soon as we got back from Dana's. He scarcely managed a polite goodbye. I shook my head once again; where had that hostility come from?

I was tempted to excuse Jeremy. He had no idea how to interact with people; he was too shy and awkward. I thought back to his behavior at the audition. He was cold and withdrawn--he hadn't spoken to anyone, as far as I could remember. Yet he sprang to life with each part he read. It was as if someone plugged him in when he performed.

"Seriously," Sean was saying. "I'm sure that's his problem--he thinks no one will look at him because of his disabilities. That's why he's so fucking unbearable."

"Then he ought to hire someone," I said without sympathy. So much for excusing him.

Sean laughed. "That's the first time I've heard you speak in favor of prostitution."

I folded my arms across my chest. "I think Jeremy brings out the worst in me," I grumbled.

"Well, one of us ought to do something about him--out of pure charity, if nothing else." He jumped to his feet and started digging into his pockets. "Shall we flip a coin?" he asked as he pulled out a quarter.

I stared at him. "Do what about him?" I demanded.

"Sleep with him, of course," Sean said. "Show the boy a good time, make him feel desirable, et cetera. Heads or tails?"

I shut my eyes for a long moment, almost hoping that Sean would disappear by the time I opened them. After last night, some part of me must have believed that Sean and I could start over--that maybe things would work out this time.

God, what a fool I am.

"That's your solution?" I asked, unable to keep the contempt out of my voice. "Sleep with him? You don't even know that he's gay."

"He is," Sean insisted. "Or, at the very least, he's not straight. Come on--this'll work."

He gave the coin a few practice tosses, but then stopped suddenly as he caught sight of my expression. He stared at me for a moment and then put the coin back in his pocket. Then in one graceful, fluid movement, he was kneeling at my side.

"Rob, I'm all for trying again with us," he said, grasping my hand. "But I'm not the monogamous type. You'd have to accept that. I'll promise to take precautions; I'll promise to be discreet--but I can't promise to be faithful. It'd be a lie."

Well, he was always honest. I'd give him that. And the look he was giving me right now would have sold me--if he hadn't just been talking about laying someone else.

I leaned toward him and ruffled his hair with my free hand. "It's not going to work between us," I said, managing a smile. "So if you want to try your luck on Jeremy, be my guest. Just don't leave him an emotional wreck--not until after the play."

Sean gave me a bittersweet smile in return. "Oh, don't worry," he said, bringing my hand to his lips. "I'll let him down easy. But you might handle him even better, you know. There's some chemistry between you two. Just think, if you could bring yourself to an open relationship--"

I shook my head at that and retreived my hand. "He's all yours," I said. Then I stood up and started toward the stairs, leaving him kneeling there. "You can hang out here if you want," I continued, calling over my shoulder. "I'm going for a run to clear my head."

LINK TO PART TWELVE: http://jrosemary.blogspot.com/2008/01/my-shadow-in-sun-part-twelve.html

No comments: