Thursday, February 28, 2008

One Generous Moment

You don't have to read far into Henry IV, Part One to understand why Prince Hal prefers the company of Jack Falstaff to that of his father. Falstaff may be a shameless rogue, but his sharp banter and whole-hearted affection more than compensate for his faults. Hal matches him in wits and basks in his adoration--and sometimes even forgets that he's just using the fat old man.

Meanwhile, Henry Bolingbroke sees only the worst in his son. He has no idea that Hal is a shrewd politician, well suited to rule. In fact, Bolingbroke wishes that young 'Hotspur' Percy, and not young Hal, was his son and heir to the throne. He sees Hotspur as the embodiment of nobility and courage and makes his preference plain.

But Hal sees Hotspur for what he is: a brash, reckless, killing machine. While Hal is slumming in a tavern, he sums up Hotspur to one of his drinking buddies.

Prince: I am not yet of Percy's mind, the Hotspur of the North, he that kills me some six or seven dozen of Scots at a breakfast, washes his hands, and says to his wife, 'Fie upon this quiet life! I want work!'

But to win his father's approval, and to prove his worth, Hal knows that he too will have to play his part in battle. So when Hotspur helps lead a rebellion against Henry Bolingbroke, Hal is determined to best him.

Hal gets his wish. He meets Hotspur on the battlefield at Shrewsbury--in single combat, no less--and kills him. But here's the twist:

While Hal was fighting Hotspur, Jack Falstaff was fighting one of Hotspur's allies. Falstaff plays possum rather than die. And so when Hal finishes off Hotspur, he turns to find Falstaff's 'corpse.'


Prince: What, old acquaintance! Could not all this flesh
Keep in a little life? Poor Jack, farewell.
I could have better spared a better man.

He continues in that vein, never forgetting for a moment that Falstaff was an old hand at lying and cheating. Does Hal know that Falstaff is shamming death? I think not--I think Hal truly believes that Jack is dead.

Hal must feel as if a noose has been taken off his neck. He's known all along that he would abandon Falstaff once he inherited the crown. But now Falstaff is dead in battle--now Hal will never have to reject him. He's free to mourn him instead and remember him as an amiable devil.

But Falstaff is very much alive. Once Hal leaves, he jumps up again with a witty and curiously profound speech on counterfeiting death. He then looks over Hotspur's corpse and stabs it himself. But he's not done--he picks up Hotspur's body and begins parading it about.

Hal is astonished to see Falstaff alive and well and carrying Hotspur's remains. Falstaff assures him that not only is he alive--he is the great hero who defeated 'Hotspur' Percy!

Prince: Why, Percy I killed myself, and saw the deed.

Falstaff: Didst thou? Lord, Lord, how this world is given to lying! I grant you I was down and out of breath, and so was he; but we rose both at an instant and fought a long hour by Shrewsbury clock.

Hal gives in with good grace and allows Falstaff all the glory of the kill. I picture Hal laughing despite himself:

Prince: (to Falstaff) Come, bring your luggage nobly on your back.
For my part, if a lie may do thee grace
I'll gild it with the happiest terms I have.

It's hard to remember that Hal is still ruthless and calculating. Here we have evidence that Hal truly loves Jack Falstaff. Hal had already proved himself in battle that day, but his defeat of Percy was his crowning glory. Think what it would have meant to him to show his father that he could outfight the mighty Hotspur.

It's a beautiful moment of generosity that goes a long way toward humanizing Hal. But it's an isolated moment. Nothing has changed. Hal still means to reject Falstaff. And when he finally cuts his ties with the old rogue, Falstaff will die in earnest--of a broken heart.

No comments: