I'm on vacation this week. I should be writing every spare second...so why am I finding so many other things to do? Not run-off-to-Aruba vacation stuff, but all those nagging little chores I tend to ignore most of the year. Or movies and television shows I've wanted to catch up on. Or all my reading.Don't mistake me--it's not a bad thing to get some chores done or catch up on some shows and stories. But it seems that every time I sit down to write, I find something else I should be doing. How do I refocus on my fiction? Anyone have a trick up their sleeve?
Sigh. Well, at least I've broken my World of Warcraft habit. I've decided to take a break from the game till summer, and I haven't been tempted to go back on that. Meanwhile, if I can't manage to write this week, at least I'll get caught up on all my reading...
4 comments:
Can you write while having a meal? a cuppa? How about taking a recorder along with you and dictating bits and pieces? When I can't fall asleep, I tell myself a story (Yes. I sleep alone. Why do you ask?) then go and write it the next day.
My two cents.
Something my spiritual director taught me might help. Set a timer for 15 minutes, and for that 15 minutes do nothing but write. If you want to continue writing, set the timer for another 15 minutes. If not, go on to something else, knowing you've written at least 15 minutes. He terms it "giving yourself permission" to start and stop an activity.
Mi dos centavos.
That's how my sister cleans house--or does something else she doesn't want to do but has to. She sets to timer. By the time the 15 mins are up, she is in the right mood to go beyond the 15 mins--usually.
Thank you, all, for your input!
Julianna~I've never tried dictating stories (or bits and pieces of stories)...but I think that's a great idea. I'd like to try it out. My Black Berry has a recording something or other on it--I may try and see if I can get that to work.
Womanwarrior~I am definitely going to try this 15-minute time trick. I think first thing in the morning will be the best time: I'm an early riser.
Thanks again, guys! I'll let you know how these ideas work out...
~Rose
Post a Comment