Friday, August 7, 2009

Too Many Irons?

I'm going to pat myself on the back--I've been getting lots of writing done! I'm working on two original stories that I'm hoping to submit to real publishing companies. I've also been working on my new Kirk/McCoy AOS story, so much happiness here. =)

One thing worries me: do I have too many irons in the fire? Does everyone work on multiple projects at once? Or is anyone out there disciplined enough to stick with the same story until it's done?

I appreciate all responses . . .

7 comments:

sterjulie said...

I find that, if I have too many projects started, I don't finished ANY of them. If I make notes and shelve the projects, I can work one exclusively, finish it, and move on.

That's just me.

Seiya.Eiri said...

i'm always doing multiple things.

writing 3 stories, working on my art, crocheting 3 different scarves, playing WoW, listening to music, cleaning my room... and talking to my friends lol.

it depends on the person is all i gotta say on it. i can do all those things (sometimes all at the same time) and be perfectly happy

my Friend Kagome however, she focus's on one thing at a time.

My other friend 'Kina-chan likes to have multiple art projects going, but writes only one story at a time.

My sister can be writing 6 different stories at once, and she is one of the best writers i've seen (think francesca lia block). she writes in the buffy fandom along with her original stories.


if you can work on all of those things at the same time, more power to you! ^_^

just don't get burned out. make sure to take a break when you need to

Liederlady1701 said...

Yeah. I *wish* I'd stay on one story until I get it done!

If the balls stay in the air, juggle! And good luck on everything, Rose!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to work on both that Batman story I sent you and the latest installment of Joanna.

Lately Joanna seems to be something of a side project while I write other one-shots for different fandoms.


Good luck with your projects, and I hope you're able to sell your stuff to those publishing companies.

A book you might want to look at is "The Idiot's Guide to Getting Published." It might offer you some useful tips.

-Igiveup

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Julianna (Ster J) ~ In my heart, I think you have the right idea. I've just never been able to do it. I so rarely stick with just one project . . . and that likely explains the volume of WIP's (Works in Progress) on my blog. Sorry.

All I'll say in my defense is that I've been writing up a storm the past few days, even though I'm working on three stories at once. But that's probably due to the fact that I'm on a solo vacation rather than the mulitple irons in the fire!

Seiya.Eiri I finally had to quit WoW because it gobbled up too much of my time! But other than that, I felt as if you were describing me. Writing multiple stories, working on multiple crafts--yup, that's me! And I still find time for computer games, lol. I switched to Evony because it takes up less time. (I do miss WoW, though . . .)

Perhaps we're just tempermentally suited to working on a variety of projects. I think I can accept that--but I'd still like to rein them in a bit.

Liederlady Lol! A number of my balls have already dropped. Wait . . . that sounded wrong. Well, you know what I mean.

Igiveup Thanks Igiveup! Yeah, I've thumbed through that book in Barnes & Noble . . . just haven't invested yet.

Seiya.Eiri said...

evony? how is it? i was looking but *shrugs*

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Seiya Eiri--I like Evony. It's more about empire-building than role-playing, however. I'll write a post about it later . . .