Ok, I've been gone for a while. I've got a load of excuses--but I'll spare you. I think I might just get my blogging groove back with U.S.A.'s new series White Collar.Peter Burke owns Neal Caffrey for the next four years--that's the premise of the show. Ok, that makes it sound a bit kinkier than it is--but those were pretty much Peter's exact words to Neal. ("I own you for the next four year--you ok with that?")
Neal's a charming conman and master forger--four years ago, Peter captured him and put him away. Neal had almost served out his sentence, but in a foolish romantic guesture, he broke out. He wanted to reach his girlfriend, Kate, who had just left him. Peter captured him again (and even paused to sympathize about Kate.) But the upshot is that Neal, who should have been freed in a couple of months, was going to be spending another four years in prison.
Not quite--Neal wheedles Peter into a better arrangement. Neal is released into Peter's custody, with an ankle monitor that gives him a two mile radius in Manhattan. In exchange, he works at Peter's side, helping him solve cases. The bromance that develops between them is the heart of the show.
Perfect slash set up, right? Not quite--Peter is happily married to a wonderful character. Elizabeth is so perfect for him that even slash writers aren't keen to get rid of her. (Enter some interesting three-way fics . . .)
It's safe to say that no three-way-relationship will develop in canon, but the relationship between Peter and Neal has me hooked regardless. Here's the actors' take on it:
Dang! I can't get it to embed properly. Oh well. Click here for the link--you'll love the interview. The chemistry between these two guys shines through.
3 comments:
Welcome back! I've missed you. Been quite out of touch myself.
The premise for "White Collar" reminds me of the old 60s "It Takes a Thief," which starred Robert Wagner as burglar/thief/playboy Alexander Mundy and Malachi Throne as his CIA-like keeper, Noah Bain.
Anywhoo, I recently happened across a rerun on cable. In the ep, Al casually strips in front of Noah in the former's hotel bedroom then dons a towel to head to the shower. Throughout Noah's engaged in a phone call, but shoots a look now & then to where Al is undressing. Al even sheds said towel in the bathroom & begins to step into the shower while Noah watches from the doorway.
True, guys strip in locker rooms all the time, but in their hotel room when they can easily get some privacy behind a closed bathroom door?
Tipped my slash scale!
Hey Liederlady!
I've missed you too--and everyone!
Yes, White Collar is indebted to "It Takes a Thief" and a number of films with a similar premise. I'm ok with that--nothing wrong with using a premise that works!
I've never seen "It Takes a Thief," but I'll have to check it out. :)
Rose
I hadn't even heard of this until now, but it sounds pretty interesting. I look forward to checking it out. Have fun running the show through your slash processor. :)
Oh, and don't forget to watch the premiere of MTV's new reality show, "Jersey Shore" on Thursday night! That might make for some good slash fiction too.
Post a Comment