Tuesday, December 25, 2007

My Shadow in the Sun, Part Seven

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Slash Fiction
Rating: Mature Content

LINK TO PART ONE: http://jrosemary.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-shadow-in-sun.html

~

My alarm went off at five the next morning. I heard Falstaff jump up from his place at the bottom of the bed. Then Sean moaned as he reached over and shut the alarm off. He snuggled back up against me when he finished, making it impossible for me to get up.

"I've got to go the gym," I muttered as I started stroking his hair.

"Screw the gym," he said. "Screw work too--take the day off. I'll go with you to Dana's instead. You two can figure out what to do about the costumes."

"What about your job?" I asked.

"I quit the other day," he answered.

I sighed. Sean didn't have much of a work ethic. He flitted from one office job to another, leaning on me or his folks if he ran out of money in the meanwhile. But he never had a problem finding someone to hire him: his looks and charm saw to that.

I thought about my own job: Sean was right, the office could spare me today. I would wait for a more reasonable hour and then call out. I had all my personal days saved up, after all. I might as well use them before the end of the year.

We spent a few more leisurely hours in bed. It was past ten by the time we were thinking of getting up. We might have stayed under the covers even longer if it hadn't been for the doorbell.

"Who's that?" Sean murmured.

Not being psychic, I shrugged. "I don't know--I'll go check."

Sean rolled off of me, dragging my blankets with him as he cocooned himself inside them. I grinned at that as I climbed out of bed and pulled on a pair of sweats. I grabbed a tee-shirt on my way downstairs and looked almost respectable by the time I got to the door.

I glanced out my front window. Jeremy David was standing on my porch. I furrowed my brow at that. I hadn't called him yet to let him know that he had the part. Had he come to pester me for an answer?

I tried to swallow my annoyance as I flung the door open. "Hey," I said.

"I looked up your address on-line," he said without preamble. "I didn't know if you'd be home--I'd like to talk with you about the play."

My annoyance changed to amusement. In fact, I had to bite back a grin. Jeremy looked so much in earnest that you would have thought lives depended on whatever he had to say to me.

"Come on in," I said, keeping my voice light.

I stepped aside for him and watched him stomp into my living room. He was leaning heavily on his cane. I stared at his back as he walked past me. It was the left side of his body that--well, that seemed to droop. His left shoulder was lower than his right shoulder and his left leg was shorter than his right leg.

He turned to face me. For a moment we stood there and stared, each taking the other's measure.

I was the one to break the silence. "I'm glad you came by," I said. "I wanted to tell you that you'll be playing Richard."

He looked down at the floor. "Thank you," he said. "But I've come to tell you that I want to--I want to recant my audition."

He paused and took a deep breath before staring back up at me. "I can't take the part."

LINK TO PART EIGHT: http://jrosemary.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-shadow-in-sun-part-eight.html

No comments: