First up--a famous scene from Friday's Child. I'll groan if you refer to Dr. McCoy as an escalator...but references to Julie Newmar as Catwoman are more than welcome ;)
Next, we have one of the best 'Irish' scenes from Star Trek. That's O'Brien singing The Minstrel Boy (with Captain Benjamin Maxwell there, on the left) in the TNG episode The Wounded. Yeah, yeah...it's hard to caption. But, come on, they're singing The Minstrel Boy!
Edit: Thank you to Julianna for posting the lyrics in the comments! And I also posted three clips of The Minstrel Boy a while back, including O'Brien's. Just click here to view them.

16 comments:
Spock: "I'm not gonna touch her--I'll get cooties!"
LOL!
Yeah...that does seem to be Spock's attitude!
~Rose
(Thought I'd post the lyrics to The Minstrel Boy just because it's just so moving.)
Thomas Moore (1779-1852))
Air "the Moreen" Ancient Irish Air
The minstrel boy to the war is gone,
In the ranks of death you'll find him;
His father's sword he hath girded on,
And his wild harp slung behind him;
"Land of Song!" cried the warrior bard,
(Should) "Tho' all the world betrays thee,
One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
One faithful harp shall praise thee!"
The Minstrel fell! But the foeman's steel
Could not bring that proud soul under;
The harp he lov'd ne'er spoke again,
For he tore its chords asunder;
And said "No chains shall sully thee,
Thou soul of love and brav'ry!
Thy songs were made for the pure and free
They shall never sound in slavery!
Some words from Maggie Pierce at Indian Neck 1985
Thanks Julianna!
I posted a couple of clips of 'The Minstrel Boy' here a while back--one was from that scene in TNG, the other was from a folk singer's concert. I'll edit my post to give a link...
~Rose
Photo 1:
1. Maxwell: Why are we sitting here, singing in the dark?
2. Maxwell: Look at the size of that cobweb in the corner!
3. O'Brien: Do ye know how big a dullard you are, Captain?
4. Maxwell: Who in their right mind would bring a harp into battle?
5. O'Brien: Beggin' the captain's pardon, but you're such a gob shite. Sir.
Julianna,
5. O'Brien: Beggin' the captain's pardon, but you're such a gob shite. Sir.
LOL! Ok, ok...I don't want to discourage anyone, but I'm not sure that can be beat!
(We'll all try our damnedest, though.)
~Rose
Photo 2:
1. Eleén: Refer to my baby as a litter one more time, Vulcan, and I will claw your eyes out!
2. McCoy: Ew! Spock backs quickly away)
Eleén: Ahem. Sorry about that. Hairball.
3. Spock: I said, no more pets, Leonard, and I mean it!
4. McCoy: Whatever you do, don't step in that!
5. McCoy: We could have taken a shuttle. We could have used the escalator to the top, but no. Miss Kitty here had to insist on the scenic route.
Thank you,Rosemary! I just love to cuss in other languages!
McCoy: "You dropped the catnip, Spock, you can pick it up! I've got my hands full here, dammit!"
O'Brien: "I TOLD you we were doing a lousy job, Maxwell...they turned out the lights on us!"
Me
McCoy: "I KNEW I shoulda worn the boots with the nonskid soles!"
O'Brien: "What are YOU singin' for Maxwell, ya great lummox...you're not even IRISH!"
Me
Aagh! That last set of two captions was from me, Womanwarrior, she-who-goofed-up!
Me
Hehe--thanks, WW! Ok, I'll dive into the jar sometime this afternoon...
(I want to give myself at least that much time to think up something!)
~Rose
Oooh! I just thought of one:
McCoy: Oh for the love of...Spock! Put away that sword--she's not the enemy!
LOL! I actually guffawed at that one, Rosemary!
One more for the road!
O'Brien: Begging the captain's pardon, sir, but ye did know that this is a gay bar, didn't you?
Thanks Julianna...ok, I'm quite late. Caption winner going up now!
~Rose
Post a Comment