Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Stressed . . .

. . . over money. Or my lack thereof. As much as I'm looking forward to summer, as a substitute teacher things are going to be tight. My stomach is roiling just thinking about my bank account.

I may pick up a freelance job or two over the summer doing some typing and editing--and that may tide me over. But I also plan to start submitting short stories and pieces of flash fiction to online sites. Some of these sites pay good money--others pay about $2 per piece. But they pay something!

Ok, yeah. I submitted one story once before. It got past the first round of editors on my selected site--only to be rejected by the second round. Sigh.

But I'm not going to let one measley rejection stop me from trying again! (Ok, I have let it stop me for quite a while--but that's in the past.)

I'm going to collect some of these sites today and post them here. I know I'm not the only one handy with a pen--and I'm not the only one hard up for cash!

5 comments:

Womanwarrior said...

I, for one, would love to see your list. I'll be unemployed as of Friday, and writing is definitely one way I'm considering of keeping the cash flowing.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Rose & Womanwarrior, unemployment/underemployment seems to be our common lot. I've been down this road more times than I care to recall (ah, this is my 7th layoff over 12 years).

I'd love to see that list of sites too. I wasn't aware there was any cash market for slash.

The economy has to get better sometime, even though I've never seen it this bad in every sector. Still, keep perserverin', friends.

Hugs,
DD

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Womanwarrior & Liederlady,

Unemployment, underemployment and layoffs...oy! I'm putting that list up today--see my edits on this post.

~Rose

Womanwarrior said...

If you haven't applied for unemployment yet, do so TODAY so you get your full benefit.

When I got home from school Friday, that was pretty much the first thing I did after I walked through the door!

Me

J. Rosemary Moss said...

I don't know if I'm eligible, since I'm underemployed rather than unemployed. But I'll check into it!

~Rose