by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Slash Fan Fiction (Star Trek)
Rating: PG-13
LINK TO PART ONE
~
Uhura seemed exceptionally energetic, Spock noted, as she led him to a private conference room. They sat down opposite each other and then she gave him a warm smile.
"Will you tell me who you want to flirt with?" she asked.
"I did not say that I wished to flirt," Spock pointed out. "I merely said that I wished to learn more about the human custom of flirting that leads to mating."
She narrowed her eyes at him. "Mr. Spock, it's going to be hard to teach you these customs in general. If you do have someone specific in mind, I can tailor the approach you should use."
Spock considered that. "Very well," he said reluctantly. "I am, however, uncertain as to whether this human is, in fact, a suitable bond-mate," he said. "Therefore, I will ask you to keep the information confidential."
Uhura smiled again. "I will," she promised. "Who is it?"
"Dr. McCoy," Spock answered.
Uhura blinked, evidently quite surprised. "You're joking!"
"I do not joke, Lieutenant. Do you believe him unsuitable for me—or me unsuitable for him?"
"No!" she said at once. "I'm just—I never thought you two—well, Spock, I think that's lovely!" she managed. "I mean that. I was only surprised because you two bicker so much; but many couples do. And I didn't know….well, I didn't know if Vulcans, ah, mated with their own sex."
Spock cocked his head at her. "It would seem illogical to dismiss the possibility of finding a bond-mate among one's own sex," he pointed out. "That is roughly half the population."
"Indeed," Uhura managed.
"I have understood humans to be quite flexible when it comes to mating—am I mistaken?"
"No," she said carefully. "Most humans fall somewhere along a scale when it comes to their sexuality—very few are strictly homosexual or strictly heterosexual. However, some are pretty far over to one side or the other."
"I see," Spock said. "Where does Dr. McCoy fall on that scale?"
Uhura seemed to consider that carefully. "It's not something I've ever discussed with him," she admitted. "I'd guess he leans toward the center, but I'm really not sure."
Spock sighed. The issue had suddenly become more complicated—but that could be fixed. "The logical course, then, would be to find out his inclinations before I proceed to flirtations. I shall speak with him on the subject tonight."
Uhura bit her lip. "Um, you could do that. The direct approach sometimes works—but you could also find out through flirtations—mild flirtations."
"Indeed?" Spock asked, raising his eyebrow at her. "What sort of 'mild flirtation' would reveal this information?"
She paused before answering, considering him. Then she stood up and changed seats so that she was sitting next to him rather than across from him.
"Do you have plans with Dr. McCoy tonight?" she asked.
"We made arrangements to meet in his cabin and debate the 10th Amendment of the United States Constitution," he explained.
Uhura's mouth formed a small 'o' at that information. "I see," she said. "Is this—Dr. McCoy doesn't know that you intend this meeting to be romantic, is that correct?"
Spock narrowed his eyes at her. "Lt. Uhura, I have no intention of engaging in a 'romance' with Dr. McCoy."
She furrowed her brow. "But—I thought that you want to bond with him."
"I wish to explore the possibility of bonding with him," Spock corrected. "However, romance should play no part in this endeavor. Our decision to bond or not to bond must be based on logic."
"I see," she said slowly. "Well, Mr. Spock, human flirting does include romance. It's a necessary part of our rituals. If your, ah, logic determines that Dr. McCoy is an appropriate partner, than you will need to romance him—at least a little."
Spock let out another sigh. "Very well. Please explain the 'mild flirtations' that will enlighten me as to Dr. McCoy's inclinations."
Uhura smiled. "When you see Dr. McCoy tonight, sit as near to him as you can. When he's speaking, lean in toward him, like this." She paused to demonstrate by leaning in toward Spock—not quite uncomfortably close, but nearly so. "If he doesn't back away," she continued, "wait a few minutes, and then place a hand on his arm, like this."
Spock stared at her hand. "Dr. McCoy often places a hand on my arm," he pointed out. "I have done the same with him and with Captain Kirk. Why should this have significance?"
"Because, after a short while, you're going to follow it up by placing your hand over his, like this," she explained, suiting her actions to her words. "Not quite holding his hand, you see, but resting yours on top of his. Do you understand?"
"It seems a simple enough maneuver, Lieutenant."
"Yes, but it's extraordinarily effective," Uhura assured him. "And once you've done this—well, you're going to have to use your judgment on how to proceed."
She paused and furrowed her brow again. "So much is going to depend on how Dr. McCoy reacts," she said. "If he's been leaning into you as well, or placing his hand on your arm—well, that means he's most likely interested. At that point, I'd risk total honesty."
Spock raised his eyebrow again. "Risk, Lieutenant? What, precisely, am I risking?"
"The possibility that he's not interested in bonding with you," she explained. "But if he's been leaning into you too…well, go ahead and explain that you—that you think of him as a potential partner."
"And if he has been backing away?"
"Then you should back away also, before placing your hand over his," she said. "You—you can still risk total honesty, if you're brave enough. Dr. McCoy is a good man. Whatever happens, he'll be flattered by your interest and he won't do or say anything to embarrass you."
"I will not suffer embarrassment in either case, Lieutenant. That is an illogical, human emotion. I cannot control Dr. McCoy's interest in me as a bond-mate, after all."
She smiled and squeezed his hand. "Spock, that's a very good way to look at it," she told him. "I wish I could be that logical when I put myself on the line."
Spock was about to offer her simple meditations that might improve her reasoning, but he was distracted by the squeeze. "Lieutenant," he said, "you are not flirting with me, are you?"
She shook her head. "Not at the moment, no."
"But you are squeezing my hand," he pointed out. "Is that not another mild flirtation?"
"It can be, but not in this case," she explained. "That was a squeeze of admiration and friendship."
Spock frowned. "How will Dr. McCoy ascertain the difference when I place my hand over his?"
Ironically, Uhura leaned even further into Spock and took hold of his other hand. "He'll know," she promised. "He may be a bit confused at first, but he'll figure it out."
"Fascinating. These 'mild flirtations'—as simple as they seem—are surprisingly complex."
"Indeed they are, Mr. Spock," the communications officer agreed. "Now, if Dr. McCoy says he is interested—and I hope he is—well, my best advice is to let him take the lead from there. You two will have to sort out how far you wish, to, ah, develop your bond. But I advise you to stick to the three-date rule."
"The three date rule?"
She nodded solemnly. "Don't , um, bond too far before the third date. You can bring that up to Dr. McCoy," she added. "He'll know what I'm talking about."
"I see," Spock said. "How strictly is this rule enforced in your culture?"
"It's a voluntary rule, but many humans abide by it," she explained. "Dr. McCoy will explain all the details."
Spock nodded. "Thank you, Lieutenant," he said. "I believe you have provided me with adequate instruction for the time being."
"I'm glad," she said warmly, releasing his hands. "And I do hope everything goes well—please let me know, whatever happens."
"I shall do so," Spock promised. He did not perfectly understand why the matter should arouse her interest, but he could see no harm in keeping her updated.
"And now," the communications officer continued, "I want to hear all about this patient of ours."
Spock nodded, somewhat relieved at the change of subject, and proceeded to tell her everything he knew.
LINK TO PART SIX
No comments:
Post a Comment