by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Slash Fan Fiction (Star Trek)
Rating: PG-13
LINK TO PART ONE
~
Lee sat up at the computer in sickbay. Spock had instructed him on the basics of using the instrument and he was putting that knowledge to good use. He was so absorbed that he almost didn't hear Captain Kirk enter the room.
He noticed the captain at the last moment, however, and—acting on habits that had been bred into him long ago at West Point—stood up immediately in the presence of the ranking officer.
Kirk grinned. "At ease," he said. Then he nodded at the computer. "What have you been up to?"
Lee smiled back as he resumed his seat. "I started with some history lessons—I wanted to know more about what happened between my day and yours," he answered. "I see our planet has managed no less than three world wars."
"Depressing, isn't it?" Kirk said as he pulled up a chair. "But First Contact changed things for us—the knowledge that there were others out there helped us pull our planet together."
"I see the Vulcans—Mr. Spock's race—provided us with that First Contact."
The captain nodded. "The Vulcans are humanity's oldest friend." He paused and cocked his head at the screen. "That, however, doesn't look like a Vulcan. Who is she?"
Lee felt himself blush as Kirk stared at the portrait. "My wife," he said. "Her picture is on record. The record says that's her wedding portrait—but we were already married when it was painted." He paused and managed a wry grin. "In fact, we already had three children."
Kirk stared at the image. "She's a beautiful woman," he said.
"She was," Lee agreed. He meant to leave it at that, but something about the captain's presence compelled him to keep talking. "I don't think—I don't think I quite realize yet that she and all our children are dead. My life in the army often separated me from my family. I feel as though I'm on assignment and they're simply waiting for me back home."
He felt the captain place a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry," Kirk said. "I suppose—I suppose you don't feel as if centuries have passed."
"No, sir, I don't. I feel as if I were walking home in the rain only a month ago." He paused again, determined to change the subject. "Was there a reason you sought me out, Captain? May I be of service?"
Kirk stared at him for a moment, as if he were trying to reach a decision. "What plans do you have, General?" he asked at length.
"I did not think it wise to make any, sir, until Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy determined that I am, in fact, `functional' and not in need of an asylum."
"They've already determined that," Kirk assured him. "No one is going to put you in an asylum. Now, I suppose you could make your way as an historian..." he let the words trail off as he gave Lee a questioning look.
"No, sir," Lee answered quietly. "I have too personal a stake in the past--the temptation to mire myself in it would be too great. I must live in the world I now inhabit. I must take things as I find them."
The captain nodded slowly and then turned back to the screen. "Computer, pull up the results for Mr. Lee's aptitude tests."
The computer complied. Lee furrowed his brow at the screen—he was unsure how to read the results.
"These are the tests that Mr. Spock subjected you to this afternoon," Kirk explained. "He was trying to determine how 'trainable' you are. You passed with flying colors. It will take a good deal of study on your part, but we can make use of you. Any interest in a career in Starfleet?"
"Yes, sir," Lee said at once. "To own the truth, I hate being out of uniform in a military environment."
Kirk laughed. "Yeah, I can imagine. There are…certain regulations that we're going to have to dance around. The fact that you don't have an official identity yet—well, that's going to be a headache. But I have some strings I can pull."
He paused. "You'll have to take an oath of allegiance to the Federation—you understand what the Federation of Planets is? And how earth is a part of it?"
"I do, sir," Lee said. "I have no objection to such an oath."
"Think you can manage to keep this one?" Kirk asked. He was, as near as Lee could figure, only half-joking.
"That depends, Captain," Lee said, keeping his features even. "How likely is Virginia to secede from the Federation?"
Kirk stared at him for a moment and then laughed appreciatively. "Touché, General. Not likely at all."
He paused again, and his expression changed until he looked almost apologetic. "All I can offer you now is a provisional non-commissioned position. If everything works out—and barring any damning new information on you—we'll get you a commission as a science officer within a few months. We'll probably start you as a junior grade lieutenant."
He cocked his head at Lee and gave him a searching look. "Is that acceptable to you, General? It'll be quite a come down—even given the difference between your army ranks and our naval ranks."
"More than acceptable, sir," Lee assured him. "But you did say science, sir? Not engineering?"
"We could have gone either way, but your highest aptitude scores were in the sciences," Kirk explained. "Mr. Spock wants you on his team—that's a high compliment, by the way. He'll oversee your training."
Lee nodded, not daring to argue. "Yes, sir."
"Good," Kirk said. "That's settled. You'll be a mere Yeoman for now, but that's enough to grant you bridge privileges. Report to Mr. Spock in the morning. He'll see to a uniform for you and give you his instructions for the day.
"Yes, Captain," Lee said. "And thank you, sir, for whatever 'dancing around' is required."
"You're welcome," Kirk said. But then he narrowed his eyes at him. "I'm taking a big risk, Mr. Lee—don't disappoint me."
"I won't," Lee promised.
"Good," the captain said. "But I should warn you that you'll have to deal with Starfleet Academy eventually. Expect to spend some time there once our mission is finished."
"I'll look forward to that, sir," Lee assured him.
Kirk grinned as he stood up. "Is it true that you got through West Point without earning a single demerit?"
"It is," Lee confirmed.
"Well, then you should survive the Academy without any trouble," he opined. "Come with me—I'll dismiss your security guard and assign you a cabin."
~
Mr. Spock sat half reclined on Dr. McCoy's bunk, listening to the sound of the doctor's deep, even breaths. McCoy, it seemed, was sleeping soundly. He was also curled up at the Vulcan's side, with his head on Spock's shoulder.
Apart from one kiss, they had done little but talk the entire evening. Spock had described a variety of Vulcan customs, while McCoy, in return, had talked about his home in Georgia. He had also talked about his daughter.
Spock had known that Joanna existed, of course. McCoy had mentioned her often and Spock knew that he wrote to her regularly. But Spock had not considered the fact that he would become a 'step-parent' should he and McCoy decide to bond.
However, it would prove interesting to become acquainted with McCoy's child. He wondered, fleetingly, if she took after Leonard.
Leonard. Spock rarely addressed the doctor by his given name, but he thought that it might be appropriate to begin doing so, at least in private.
The doctor stirred suddenly and Spock watched as his eyes fluttered open. "Hey," he said, drawling through a yawn. "You're still here."
"You drifted to sleep while we were talking, Leonard," Spock explained. "But you seemed comfortable—I did not wish to disturb you."
McCoy smiled. "We were talking for a good long time," he said. "It's late now, isn't it?"
Spock nodded. "Our conversation lasted for precisely 5.31 hours before you drifted off."
He laughed. "That's good to know," he said, as he moved even closer to Spock. "You're nice and warm," he continued. "The best blanket and pillow I've ever had. I could get used to this—think Jim-boy will let us share a cabin?"
"I believe it would be prudent to decide whether we wish to bond before we ask him," Spock noted.
McCoy laughed again. "I know," he said. "Don't worry—I'm not rushing us into anything." He paused to let out a deep, content sigh. "Are you comfortable?" he asked.
"I would prefer to raise the temperature of your quarters," Spock admitted, "and to make use of your blankets."
"Please do," McCoy invited.
Spock gave the command to raise the room temperature. Then he carefully removed his boots and settled himself under the doctor's blankets. The doctor stayed on top of them, but he remained curled up against Spock.
"Did you give any thought to my proposal, Spock?" he inquired. "Regarding my, ah, punishment, I mean?"
In truth, the Vulcan had been able to think of little else. He found the notion of 'tanning' Leonard…intriguing. Leonard had explained that, despite it's origins as a punishment for children, this 'good, old-fashioned treatment' was most appropriate between romantically-linked adults. The research Spock had performed earlier confirmed this fact, although Spock had not known what to make of that information at the time.
"It will subject you to pain," Spock pointed out.
"That's the idea," McCoy confirmed. "But there's such a thing as good pain."
"But it will be an effective punishment?" Spock demanded.
The doctor grinned. "Considering your Vulcan strength, I should certainly think so. In fact, I'm going to have to trust you to hold back, at least a little."
"I will naturally do so," Spock promised. "Should we see to this matter immediately?"
McCoy shook his head. "Tomorrow morning'll be soon enough. I'm too comfortable right now."
"You wish me to stay for the night?"
"Of course," he answered. "We just took all this trouble to settle in. You don't mind, do you?"
"No, Doctor," Spock answered as he began, tentatively, to stroke McCoy's hair. "I do not mind."
McCoy nodded and started to drift off again. "`Night Spock," he muttered, nestling against him.
"Good night, Leonard," Spock returned.
He rested his chin on top of McCoy's head as he spoke and shut his eyes. He had sensed McCoy's emotions for much of the evening—his pride in his daughter, his affection for his family and home. But now he felt only peace emanating from the Doctor.
Spock welcomed it and looked forward to the day when their minds would be permanently linked—and never parted.
LINK TO PART ELEVEN
No comments:
Post a Comment