There's a riveting scene in the Star Trek episode Mirror, Mirror in which 'alternate-universe' Spock forces a mind meld on McCoy. All sorts of fan-fiction has been written about this moment--it's made for some damn fine angst stories as Bones deals with the after affects of a 'mind rape' and learns to heal.But if you go that route, you have to assume that the episode never adequately dealt with what Bones suffered. You also have to be good at writing angst which, unfortunately, I'm not!
So I took the episode at face value for Reflective Irony. I never thought the mind-meld was all that forced or all that painful to McCoy. Especially as McCoy doesn't seem particulary upset when Mirror-Spock escorts him into the transporter room--and he's able to joke with the other Spock about beards back aboard the Enterprise.
So I ended up with a story where Mirror-Spock was still scary, but Bones just couldn't bring himself to be afraid of the man who was so much like 'his Spock.' And, ultimately, Bones couldn't help but trust him. So I wouldn't quite call it a mind-rape. So tell me what you think--I'd love to hear different takes on this.
Here's the scene, courtesy of darkmirrorchris at Youtube. It begins about 40 seconds into the clip--that's where Bones refuses to let Mirror-Spock die. The mind meld part ends at about 1:52...and then we see Mirror Spock and Bones again as they enter the transporter room at about 3:43:
No comments:
Post a Comment