Here's a rare clip of Buddy Holly, who died in a plane crash on this date, back in 1959, along with Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper:
(But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step
I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died
~Don McLean, American Pie)
3 comments:
Wow! I just realized that I had never seen Buddy Holly perform before--heard, yes; seen, no. And that drummer was so serious and so precise, I thought maybe they had wound up a toy drummer. No, wait, I get that same blank face when I try to play piano. I wonder if someone had read them the riot act before hand about keeping in frame, the live performance, etc.
What show was that? I never heard that announcer before. She seemed a bit...biased. (And I think my sister wore that same gown to the Backwards Dance in 1963!)
Thanks for the clip Rosemary!
BTW--the word verification is gratheri, which sound like somone speaking Italian with a lisp!
Hey Julianna,
The person who posted the clip incorrectly attributes it to American Bandstand...but, according to the comments, it seems to be from the Arthur Murray Show in 1957.
I'm not sure who the lady introducing Buddy is. One comment says it's Kitty Carlisle, but I don't know if that's true.
I haven't seen many performances by Buddy Holly either. I don't think too many were recorded =(
As for 'gratheri'--lol! I can't think of anything to do with that one!
~Rose
P.S. At a guess, the lady could also be Arthur Murray's wife, Kathryn Murray, who co-hosted the show...but I have no idea what she looked like!
Post a Comment