Monday, February 9, 2009

Too Much Time Off?

I'm working as a substitute teacher right now--and it's bloody slow! And not only is my paycheck suffering...so is my writing.

Tell me if this seems like a contradiction: the busier I am, the more I write. When I'm crazy busy, I always find time to jot down stories. And I'll stay up late and get up early just to write. But give me too much time off, and I'll lose my groove. I'll end up sleeping in and playing far too much World of Warcraft. Or I'll decide that my apartment really needs cleaning. (Um, it does, but that's beside the point.)

Sigh. Ok, time for a resolution. From now on, I'm going to treat my writing like a job in and of itself. If I don't get called into sub, I'm going to take half the day that I would have been working and dedicating it to my writing. That still leaves time for errands, cleaning, napping and World of Warcraft =P

Let's see how this goes...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose...Could it be that for you, energy begets energy, and inertia begets ennui?

Does writing become more precious when time is short, because writing time is short? When you have more time, is writing some delicious treat that will "be there"?

Your question is an intriguing one...when is too much "too much", and how can it be balanced?

Me

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Womanwarrior,


Quote:Rose...Could it be that for you, energy begets energy, and inertia begets ennui?

Does writing become more precious when time is short, because writing time is short?,


Good questions. I think, to a large extent, energy does beget energy...although it's easy to overdo it. I have a tendency either to run myself ragged until I collapse into an exhausted and sickly heap--or get nothing accomplished as I laze about all day!

Lol, clearly I need some balance.

~Rose

Seiya.Eiri said...

I hear you with the too much time thing. first, i worked at my dog watching job, with no internet for 3 days there.... -.-"

then i come home, and my first floor has been flooded with sewage, so i gotta come and live with my sister and grandma while the floor is dried. and aired out >.>.

there is nothing to do here, but play World of warcraft. and i can't go to my other job 'cause the lady isn't gonna drive all the way to my grandma's house to get me. and my grandma sure isn't gonna drive down there and wait for 2 hours to bring me back.


although good has happened. my birthday was the 13th and i got 2 of my favorite books and my sister also got me burning crusade, so i have a pretty horde character now to level up ^_^ lol

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Hey Seiya!

Yay--a Horde character!

(I have my pretty boy blood-elf on Emerald Dream, an RPG-PvP server, just to be totally insane, lol. Any chance you'll come over?)

I will try to get on my Pally on your server...I've been on a couple of times, but must have missed you. I'm off tomorrow...but I do have papers for school to write. (Blah!)

~Rose

Seiya.Eiri said...

i will try! i have to re download burning crusade again 'cause of my sister, but i will try to be on , i will definitely be on tomorrow though!