Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Need Help with Strategies for a Longer Story

Hey Everyone,

I'd like to submit an original story to a certain publisher...but it has to be between 20,000-25,000 words. And the deadline for submissions is in the middle of April.

I don't have the best luck with longer stories. I'm very proud of the ones I've completed, but....well, it takes me a while. (I finish most of them eventually. No, really, I do!)

Any suggestions for getting this done? I'm looking for any advice you can throw at me: advice about scheduling, advice about plotting longer stories--you name it.

Thanks in advance!

Rose

4 comments:

Seiya.Eiri said...

well, with the plotting out of longer stories (although i don't really do that) try getting a friend, explaing the characters and the situations, and role play it out. i did that with my friend Leah and she ended up writing a 5 notebook (one subject note book... and 1 5 subject notebook) long fanfic.

and before that me and a friend of mine role played Inuyasha and ended up having 50,000 words or so. (mind you we did that for over a year so... :D)

so, maybe try that ^_^

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Seiya,

I think the roleplaying is an excellent idea. I already have a gaming group that I roleplay with--yes, I'm that much of a geek--so they might not mind helping me work out some of the plot...

~Rose

Seiya.Eiri said...

aww that's not being a geek!

role playing is fun! also a great way to meet people.. i should know, my sister-in-law was met that way ^_^ and they have been together for 8 years *nods*

i still do it sometimes, but i can't find anyone to do it in my fandoms

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Oy, I know what you mean about fandoms. I've been demanding a Star Trek game for ages, lol, using any rules system--but so far to no avail.

~Rose