Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Reaching This Moment: Barack Obama Becomes President

This is such an historic event that it requires a Shehecheyanu:

Baruch atah Adonai Elohenu, melech ha'olam, shehehchehyanu vehkiyehmanu veh'heganu lazman hazeh.

Blessed are you Lord our God, king of the universe, who has kept us in life, sustained us, and brought us to this moment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J. Rosemary Moss said...

Sigh...had to erase another spam comment. =(

Anonymous said...

Did the school let you watch, Rose? While I was watching some of the coverage they visited this school in Atlanta Georgia that got to watch.

The crowd was so HUGE! It was like an ocean of people-make that two oceans.

-Igiveup

Anonymous said...

Oh! P.S.-Did you ever get around to viewing that 'Band From TV' Youtube video I sent you?

-Igiveup

Anonymous said...

If I may, I'd like to add a version of a prayer for the President of the United States and all in Civil Authority, from the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer:

O Lord our Governor, whose glory is in all the world: We commend this nation to thy merciful care, that, being guided by thy Providence, we may dwell secure in thy peace. Grant to the President of the United States, wisdom and strength to know and to do thy will. Fill him with the love of truth and righteousness, and make him ever mindful of his calling to serve this people in awe of thee, one God, world without end. Amen.

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Hey all!

Igiveup ~ Yes, I got to watch the inaugeration live! We herded the kids into the auditorium around 11:15 and stayed till about 12:20 watching it. The kids voted overwhelmingly to stay that long to watch, even though it started to cut into their lunch time =)

(But they still ended up with plenty of time to eat, of course.)

I did not watch the video yet--but I will. Once I get through reading all this stuff for school...

Womanwarrior ~ Thanks so much for adding that! What a beautiful prayer--and it's perfect for the occassion. And with the economy in the state it's in, Obama will need all our prayers (and good vibes and positive thoughts, of course!)

~Rose