by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Fan-Fiction (Batman)
Rating: R
LINK TO PART ONE
~
Alfred found me a few hours later. I was working out in the gym I had installed in Wayne Manor. He let himself in and then coughed to get my attention. I glanced at him and noticed that he was looking even more disapproving than usual.
Normally I don’t let anything distract me from my work-out—the routines are as much about focusing my mind as they are about sculpting my muscles and quickening my reflexes. But the concern on Alfred’s face told me that I’d have to make an exception today.
“What’s wrong?” I asked as I jabbed, bare-fisted, at the punching bag.
“Miss Kyle has taken to exploring the house, sir,” he said.
I frowned, but I wasn’t too concerned. It was unlikely that she’d stumble into the cave below, down by the foundations, where I kept all the equipment of my alter ego. There was an entrance to the cave from the house, but it was well hidden in my study.
I also doubted that she was rummaging through my valuables. My research earlier today hadn’t cleared her of moonlighting as the Catwoman, but somehow I couldn’t see her robbing Wayne Manor. Not while she was staying here as my guest, at any event.
“She’s not prowling around my study, is she?” I asked just to be safe.
“No, sir,” Alfred answered. “She’s prowling around the master bedroom.”
I stopped and stared at him, almost letting the punching bag hit me in the head. But my reflexes kicked in at the last second. I dodged the bag and stepped aside. Alfred, meanwhile, calmly picked up a towel and handed it to me. I took a few seconds to wipe the sweat off my face and chest—but then I tossed the towel aside and stormed out of the room.
I heard Alfred follow behind me. “Sir, would it be better if I saw to this matter?”
“No!” I barked. “I’ll take care of this.”
Alfred’s footfall ceased as I reached the main staircase. I took the steps two at a time and almost ran down the long hallway. The master bedroom—and every room in that wing—had been locked up for ages. I hadn’t been inside them since…well, it didn’t matter how long it’d been.
I found Selina standing in the center of the master bedroom—my parents’ room—drinking it in. I stopped in the doorway and almost gasped.
At some point Alfred must have tidied up in here. My mother’s make up no longer haphazardly littered her dresser. My father’s discarded ties weren’t lying on the back of his chair. But, apart from that, everything was just as I remembered it.
Except for Selina’s presence.
She turned toward me and looked me over. She didn’t seem surprised to see me and she didn’t look like she was suffering any pangs of guilt for breaking in. She was standing there as if I’d invited her to invade my memories.
I forced myself to take a deep breath. “What are you doing in here?” I demanded.
I had tried to keep my voice soft, but something in my tone must have frightened her. She lost that casual expression she’s so good at feigning as I caught a glimpse of fear in her eyes.
“This—this place feels like a mausoleum,” she managed. “How long has it been since you’ve aired it out?”
“I don’t use the rooms in this wing,” I said. “That’s why the door was locked.”
She had the grace to blush at that. “The lock must have rusted,” she said, trying for a nonchalant shrug. “The door opened easily.”
I took another deep breath. “Go pack your things,” I ordered. “Alfred will drive you home in a few minutes.”
“Didn’t we just go through this?” she asked, lifting her eyebrows.
“I want you out of here, Selina.”
She narrowed her eyes at that. “Are you breaking up with me?”
“I haven’t decided yet,” I informed her. “But I think it’d be best if you left for now.”
I watched her face go white. But that didn’t last long—she had too much pride to pretend to be heart broken. She gave me a scornful look instead.
“I’m sorry for—for coming in here without your permission,” she began.
“Then why did you?” I asked, cutting her off.
She gave me another slight shrug. “You know what they say: curiosity killed the cat. But don’t think you’re the only one with a hard luck story, Bruce. Someday you’ll grow up enough to realize that.”
And with that she brushed past me and strode out of the room, leaving me to stand there fuming.
2 comments:
great post JR. Can't wait for the next installment...
Thanks Jim!
I'll have more up by this weekend...
~Rose
Post a Comment