by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Slash Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13
Link to Part One
~
Joe smiled to himself as he tucked fifty dollars into his pocket. Every once in a while it was possible to catch older brother in a reasonable mood.
Of course, he’d had to put up with a lecture from older brother about proper money management—Adam was well aware that cash seemed to burn a hole in Joe’s pocket. But, in the end, Adam seemed more resigned than annoyed.
And the money wasn’t free. Joe had to trade his days off next week for them. Now Adam had three days off and Joe would be stuck checking all the line shacks with Hoss. Joe had hoped that such a sacrifice on his part would be worth one hundred dollars, but fifty was the most Adam would agree to.
Now should Joe apply to Hoss for another fifty? It would be nice to sit down at the poker table with an even hundred. But, in Joe’s experience, both of his brothers were never reasonable at the same time. Nah—he wouldn’t bother asking Hoss for a loan. Fifty was enough to start the night out with.
And with thought in mind, Joe strode into the barn and saddled up Cochise.
~
When Adam stepped inside the house David was still there. He was seated on the settee, engrossed in the account books that were spread out on the table in front of him.
Adam smiled as he walked up behind David and placed his hands on David’s shoulders. “How’s it coming?” he asked.
David turned his head and smiled up at him. “Pretty well,” he said. “I should have everything about this investment in order by tomorrow.”
“Good,” Adam said as he began massaging David’s shoulders. “What are your plans for next week?”
He furrowed his brow. “Nothing special, as far as I can remember.”
“Well, I’ve got three days off,” Adam informed him. “I’ve got some odds and ends to take care of in Carson City—why don’t you come along? Abby can stay here at the house so she won’t be alone in the cottage.”
David’s eyes lit up. “That sounds promising—are there good hotels in Carson City?”
“Good enough to afford us some privacy,” Adam answered with a wink.
David laughed. “Count me in, then. But how’d you get the days off? I thought you were stuck restocking the line shacks or something.”
“I was—but Little Joe is taking my place.”
“Why?” David asked, frowning a little.
Adam grinned as he walked around the settee and took a seat next to David. “Oh, he’s flat-broke again. He took fifty dollars in exchange for his days off.”
David’s mouth seemed to drop open. “You gave him fifty dollars? Adam, he’s just going to waste that at the poker tables.”
Adam shrugged. “That’ll serve him right—it’ll teach him not to part with his days off so easily.”
“No, it won’t,” David said softly. “It’ll teach him that it doesn’t matter how much he loses—he can always come running to older brother.”
Adam narrowed his eyes at his lover. “Are you trying to tell me how to handle my little brother?”
“I suspect that your little brother has a serious problem when it comes to poker,” David returned evenly. “I think—I think that you should cut him off as far as loans go, Adam. Unless you have another idea of how to handle this problem.”
“He doesn’t have a problem,” Adam snapped. “He’s a just a kid, David, who hasn’t learned to be responsible with money yet. I admit that’s a fault—but it’s not the kind of problem you’re talking about.”
But David shook his head at that. “Adam, Joe is twenty-two. He’s not a kid. And for some reason he craves the poker table even though he loses time and again. I think—I think you ought to look for a way to cure him of that habit. Or, if that’s not possible, you ought to stop making it possible for him to sit at the tables.”
Adam felt himself bristling. “David, I appreciate your concern. But if you want to avoid a fight with me, don’t dictate how I should treat my own family.”
David stiffened at that. “I thought that I was part of this family,” he said. “Joe will be my step-brother through your father’s marriage to my mother—and he’s essentially my brother-in-law through my relationship with you. Doesn’t that give me the right to concern myself?”
Adam sighed. “Yes,” he owned. “Fine, you’ve stated your concern. But I want you to stay out of it from here. You’ve pretty much been Joe’s partner in crime, David. He won’t take strictures from you gladly—and I don’t think he even deserves them.”
“I haven’t laid down any laws for Joe,” David pointed out. “I just refused him another loan. And all I’m doing now is asking you to be careful about the money you give him.”
“Well, you’re overstepping yourself,” Adam retorted.
David’s eyes were flashing now. “I see,” he said. “Well, Little Joe is my concern too, Adam, as you just admitted. If you won’t look to this problem of his, then I’ll have to—unless your Pa or Hoss is willing to step up.”
“Don’t you dare bring an accusation like this to Pa,” Adam snapped. “And leave Hoss out of it—all you’ll do is start a fight between him and Little Joe.”
“Fine, then I’ll handle this myself,” David informed him. “But it would be much better for you to say something to him—or at least watch over him. Can’t you even open your mind to the possibility that he’s addicted to poker?”
“You don’t understand Joe,” Adam said flatly. “No offense, but you haven’t been part of this family long enough.”
“I see,” David responded as he began closing up the books.
Adam swore under his breath. “I think it’d be best if you stayed here instead of coming to Carson City with me,” he said. “I can get much more work done without you distracting me.”
“Fine,” David said. “But you’d do better to spend that time restocking the line-shacks with Hoss and Joe. Maybe you need to be re-acquainted with your little brother.”
Adam took hold of David’s chin and turned his face toward his own. “Watch yourself, David. I’m not going to take orders from you about how to treat my family.”
David swatted his hand away. “I’m not giving you orders, Adam. I’m trying to point out something you may have overlooked."
He paused and took a deep breath. "I know how you feel about Little Joe—he’s your darling. And you don’t like anyone but yourself finding fault with him. Moreover, you’re so used to spoiling him and treating him like a child that it’s hard for you to take this poker problem seriously.”
“There is no problem,” Adam said again—except that he’s careless.”
“Then come into town with me tonight and watch for yourself,” David invited. “Really watch him play, I mean.”
Adam shook his head. “I’ve no intention of hovering over him like that—and I don’t expect you to, either.”
David slammed one of the books shut. “Don’t dictate to me,” he spat. “Somebody in this family has to have his eyes open.”
Adam didn’t trust himself to respond to that. He was sorely tempted to punch David in the jaw again—but he’d promised never to repeat that incident. So he stood up instead and walked upstairs without another word.
LINK TO PART FOUR
No comments:
Post a Comment