Here's a question for anyone who enjoys writing--whether or not you've gotten the courage to post your stories!
How many of us stick to a writing schedule? Does anyone block off an hour or so a day for writing? I tend to grab time willy-nilly myself, but I can see the attraction of a strict regime.
And here's a related question: do you write even when you're not in the mood? If you know you'll only have an hour or so that you can spare for writing, do you jot down something even if you're feeling dry and uninspired? Or do you wait for the plot bunnies to strike?
In theory, I'd like to force myself even when the plot bunnies are hiding on me. In practice, I usually end up playing World of Warcraft instead =P
But I'd love to find out how other folks handle these issues...please let me know!
17 comments:
I don't know about scheduling a time. I write as soon as I can after the plot bunny has infected/possessed me. Othewise, my brain has no room for anything other than autonomic functions! Even if that just means a few seconds to write out a plot point or a scrap of dialogue. Somehow putting the words on paper puts me back in control of my brain.
If I know I am going to have to wait for a length of time (at the dr's office or airport, e.g.), I will take a notepad and scratch down some ideas--usually from observing the other people also waiting. That's how I wrote the story 'The Day Spock Learned to Dance." Some three yr old was standing in line to get onto a flight and suddenly stepped out of the line and began a happy dance.
One must obey the Muse/plot bunny. Otherwise, the story idea will rool around in he brain and be as annoying as a marble on the dashboard.
So, after telling you how to build a clock when allyou asked for was te time, my answer is "No."
Shoo. I did it again. THat was from me.
Peace!
Julianna
Thanks for your response, Julianna!
I agree with you here:
"I write as soon as I can after the plot bunny has infected/possessed me. Otherwise, my brain has no room for anything other than autonomic functions!"
I feel the same way. In theory, it sounds like a great idea to force yourself to write regardless of what your plot bunnies and/or muse are up to...but in reality, I find it an exercise in frustration!
However, I think you've hit on something--bring a notepad to scratch down some ideas, and the plot bunnies may just come to you. I love your description of how you wrote The Day Spock Learned to Dance. You watched a little three year old step out of line and begin a happy dance--and your plot bunnies took the bait!
So although we're stuck waiting for inspiration, it seems we can bait the bunnies ;)
That's an important point for me. Sometimes I forget to draw inspiration by observing the world around me...
~Rose
well, when i was in school, i had a scheduled writing time. (basically all school day 'cept spanish class 'cause i actually enjoyed that teacher [aka he knew what he was doing])
but now, my bunny has left me, and i spend my time playing WoW or drawing for my deviantart...
Hey Seiya Eiri,
Lol--I wonder how many of us have gotten through boring classes with our writing and sketching habbits! (And how many of us have improved our writing and sketching because said boring classes gave us the time to do so?)
And if you're drawing I'd say the plot bunnies are still biting. Well, um, maybe not the plot bunnies. Maybe it's their cousins the sketch bunnies. But that's just as cool!
Btw, I don't think I have your deviantart page in my linklist. I'd love to put it there if you'd like to share it. (No pressure, lol!)
Re WoW: Are you, by any chance, on Proudmore? That's the server my main and my main alt are on =)
~Rose
yes, the sketch bunnys ^_^ (though i wish those bunnys would also make my sketching better >.> lol )
http://ai-maclean.deviantart.com/ <- i'm only giving it to you 'cause i have a spock/mccoy pic on there that i dun know if you've seen it yet or not. (i posted it on the haven )
RE: WoW i'm actually on Ravenquest 'cause that's where my 2 friends play (and protect me 'cause i am a mere lvl 12 druid on one, and lvl 9 hunter on the other @.@ )
but if you don't mind me being a lvl one for a few hours, i can make anew character on your server ^_^
I don't have a scheduling time either. After sleeping in today(until about 8:45) I spent the entire rest of the day playing Rune Factory 2.
It's only 6:39pm right now, maybe I'll get a tiny bit more done on my Joanna story before I go to bed.
-Igiveup
i just realized that the link thing was said badly.
i hate my deviantart 'cause i can't draw worth a crap. you can do anything you want with the link though ^.~
('cept causing any harm to your computer... that wouldn't be good >.> lol )
(also Saavikam (my new kitten) says hi and send the french fries she is currently "nomming" on to you... she nudged them twords the computer screen :D )
Hey all!
Seiya-Eiri I like your art! I just signed up for a Deviantart account--maybe someday I'll have some art to show off, lol--and I think I friended you. (Hope it went through!) I also added your page to my links =)
I can start a toon on Ravenquest after I get my main to 80. Otherwise, though, I'm on Proudmore as Yardenah (70 Ranger, main) and Saratoga (60 Death Knight, secondary). And I have a fairly new warrior named Shoshanah--I forget what level she is, but she's not more than 15.
Um, yeah--I play too much!
Hello to Saavikam (great name!) and thanks for the fries =)
Igiveup LOL! I hear you--I can get sucked into WoW completely on some days off, so I know just where you're coming from.
That's why the notion of scheduling a writing time is so attractive to me. "Ok, Rose, spend the next two hours writing--no WoW!"
But, as Julianna points out, the plot bunnies do need to cooperate!
Meanwhile, I'lm all for more of the Joanna story =)
~Rose
i tried to go onto your server, but it was full O_O""
My main (well main now.. technically was my secondary) is KaylahLaurie and i'm a lvl 10 (atm) Hunter...
my secondary is SeiyaEiri and is a lvl 12 Druid
(both night elves, and female :D)
Oy--I forgot that Proudmore was full up!
Ok, once I get Yardenah to 80, I'll create a toon on your server. Mine are all female too--although I do have a pretty-boy blood elf somewhere =)
Yard's a blood-elf, Saratoga and Shoshana are both dwarves. (Female dwarves don't get enough love, lol!)
~Rose
Oy--scratch that about Yard. She's a night-elf, not a blood elf. All my toons (except for the pretty-boy blood elf) are Alliance.
(Forgive me Yardenah, for the error! It shan't happen again!)
:D cool! ^_^
and once your on my server, you wanna join my guild? (my best friends boyfriend runs it)
we're basically only there to have fun.. i dun think we do anything special...
Sure, I'd love to join the guild--as long as there are no level requirements. I've got to get Yard and Saratoga to 80, but I don't know if I'll have the will to level another toon up anytime soon!
~Rose
nope, no lvl requirements. if Ben had been on, he would of let me join at lvl one (it ended up being lvl 3 or 4.. but :D
YEAH WARCRAFT. :D I don't have enough time as it is but that doesn't stop me ... Kara run this weekend!
And no, I don't schedule, maybe I should. My work schedule is too unpredictable, though, so I usually just end up writing when I can.
- Aya
Yay! Another WoW addict =P
(I love Kara--waiting to see which 'opera' you get is so much fun! And Nightbane is one of my favorite boss fights.)
I can see how building a writing schedule would be nearly impossible when your work schedule is unpredictable--so I guess you just have to grab whatever time you have.
I am tempted to try a schedule--just by getting up earlier in the morning and writing consistently then. But we'll see if the plot bunnies will bite...
~Rose
Post a Comment