Thanks for posting! The interview is wonderful, shows just how gifted, prepared & thoughtful Urban is AND that the guy is a dedicated fan. I haven't seen enough televised interviews with him, but from what I have seen he appears quite sincere & not just telling Trekkers what we want to hear.
Karl Urban's interpretation of our dear Bones is ... well my mere words cannot suffice. His performance of McCoy shows as much care, professionalism, respect & enthusiasm as he would in taking on the role of a Shakespearean hero. Anyone can dress the part & deliver lines. "Immersing" within a character requires far more work & Karl shows up (in spades!).
De Kelley gave birth to and reared the character of McCoy for a quarter century. What he gave us was a gift--passionate and funny and caring and genuine. Karl Urban obviously intends to continue nurturing that gem of a character. What brilliant luck we've had--that Roddenberry & Abrams managed to find the absolutely right player for this cherished part.
De Kelley & Karl Urban have something else in common--they make the work look easy. The true stamp of a superb actor.
Well said. I just saw the movie for a second time, and I'm even more impressed by his performance. Just the scene of him chasing down Jim to inject him was worth the price of admission!
Dr. Leonard H. 'Bones' McCoy remains my all time favorite fictional character--I'm so glad to see that he's in such good hands!
It took me some years to truly appreciate McCoy. Spock was my idol & Kirk was always so overshadowing.
There were numerous McCoy moments in TOS that stopped me in my tracks (Bread & Circuses, The Paradise Syndrome, The Immunity Syndrome), but I think it was Mr. Kelley's work in the films (esp. III & IV) that truly captured me.
When, in III, he tells katra-less Spock that he doesn't think he can stand to lose him again it always puts me in mind of the Capulet tomb scene in Romeo & Juliet.
There's that same paradox of death & possible rebirth. McCoy doesn't want to face a life without his friend and is willing, albeit fearful, of doing whatever he must to ensure they're together.
3 comments:
Thanks for posting! The interview is wonderful, shows just how gifted, prepared & thoughtful Urban is AND that the guy is a dedicated fan. I haven't seen enough televised interviews with him, but from what I have seen he appears quite sincere & not just telling Trekkers what we want to hear.
Karl Urban's interpretation of our dear Bones is ... well my mere words cannot suffice. His performance of McCoy shows as much care, professionalism, respect & enthusiasm as he would in taking on the role of a Shakespearean hero. Anyone can dress the part & deliver lines. "Immersing" within a character requires far more work & Karl shows up (in spades!).
De Kelley gave birth to and reared the character of McCoy for a quarter century. What he gave us was a gift--passionate and funny and caring and genuine. Karl Urban obviously intends to continue nurturing that gem of a character. What brilliant luck we've had--that Roddenberry & Abrams managed to find the absolutely right player for this cherished part.
De Kelley & Karl Urban have something else in common--they make the work look easy. The true stamp of a superb actor.
Well said. I just saw the movie for a second time, and I'm even more impressed by his performance. Just the scene of him chasing down Jim to inject him was worth the price of admission!
Dr. Leonard H. 'Bones' McCoy remains my all time favorite fictional character--I'm so glad to see that he's in such good hands!
It took me some years to truly appreciate McCoy. Spock was my idol & Kirk was always so overshadowing.
There were numerous McCoy moments in TOS that stopped me in my tracks (Bread & Circuses, The Paradise Syndrome, The Immunity Syndrome), but I think it was Mr. Kelley's work in the films (esp. III & IV) that truly captured me.
When, in III, he tells katra-less Spock that he doesn't think he can stand to lose him again it always puts me in mind of the Capulet tomb scene in Romeo & Juliet.
There's that same paradox of death & possible rebirth. McCoy doesn't want to face a life without his friend and is willing, albeit fearful, of doing whatever he must to ensure they're together.
It's just beautiful. *wipes tear*
Post a Comment