by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13
LINK TO PART ONE
~
Nevada 1847
Adam stifled a yawn as he stepped into the house. He stripped himself of his jacket, his hat and his gun belt and then made his way to living room. He was looking forward to collapsing into a chair with his newest book.
“Cheri, is that you?” Marie called out. A moment later she appeared at the top of the stairs.
Adam swore under his breath. Marie’s habit of calling him ‘cheri’ never failed to grate on him.
“What can I do for you?” he asked as she rushed down the stairs. He noted—with disapproval—that she was wearing only her chemise and a silk robe.
“Come, sit down with me,” she said as she took his hand. “I must ask a favor of you, cheri.”
He resisted her attempt to pull him toward the settee. Instead he shook off her grip.
“Marie, don’t call me that. I’m your stepson, not your flirt.”
She gave him a mischievous smile. “There’s no reason you can’t be both—especially now that you’re grown. Look at you, almost ready for college! By the time you come back you’ll be one of my favorite flirts.”
“Spare me that honor,” he said dryly.
“Adam,” she said, rolling her eyes, “if you’ll do me this favor I’ll call you anything you please. Now come sit down.”
He had no choice but to follow her to the settee. She’d never leave him in peace until he heard her out.
“Well?” he said as they sat down.
She glanced down at her hands. “You have your own money, n’est-ce pas? I mean separate from the Ponderosa’s accounts.”
He narrowed his eyes at her. “Trying to touch me up for a loan?”
“Yes,” she admitted as she met his gaze. “I need two thousand dollars.”
Adam nearly choked. “Two thousand? What for?”
She took a deep breath. “An emergency. Please don’t ask any further. It is a very private and delicate matter. And, besides, explanations can be tedious.”
Adam stared at her. “Why haven’t you asked my father?” he said at length.
She shook her head. “You know he took Hoss on that hunting trip. They won’t be back on time. And I—I would prefer him not to know about this.”
Adam did his best to keep his voice even. “I’m not going to help you deceive my Pa,” he informed her.
She stood up at that and began pacing. “I might as well tell you, cheri—I mean, Adam—that the money is already spent.”
“What do you mean?”
“I borrowed it from the safe,” she confessed.
“You what? Marie, that was the payroll! And the money for the contract!”
She stopped pacing and turned to face him. She was standing by the desk now.
She gave him a tentative smile. “Well, if you have two thousand dollars you can cover it. And then I’ll pay you back—with interest, I promise.”
Adam stood up and clenched his fists. “Why would Pa even give you the combination to the safe?” he demanded. “Doesn’t he know better than to talk business with you?”
She bristled at that. “Are you saying that women can’t be trusted with business?”
He glared at her. “No. I’m saying that you can’t be trusted. Inger would’ve known better than to take the money. Hell, she could’ve handled all our finances!”
He knew how little Marie liked being compared to Hoss’s mother—so naturally he had made a career of doing just that. Therefore he wasn’t surprised when she threw her hands up in the air and went off in a torrent of French.
Adam had picked up enough of her language to get the gist of it. She was calling on the Mother of God and various angels to save her from her vicious, autocratic, unfeeling stepson.
He folded his arms over his chest as she went on. She soon calmed down enough to speak in English.
“Listen to me, cheri,” she said. “I’m tired of you throwing Inger at me. I hate this perfect stepmother of yours! I’m sick of being told how she crossed the plains heavy with child, healed the sick, fought Indians and no doubt changed water into wine. Mon Dieu, what didn’t this woman do?”
Adam raised his eyebrows at her. “She didn’t paint herself up,” he informed her. “She didn’t wear gowns cut so low that a prostitute would blush to wear them and she didn’t steal two thousand dollars from our safe.”
Marie’s eyes shot murder at him as she picked up Inger’s portrait from the desk and hurled it at his head. He managed to duck—but barely. The heavily framed picture went sailing over his head, crashing into the wall behind him.
He turned and stared at the shattered glass and broken frame. Then he turned back to Marie and walked purposely toward her.
She looked shocked at her action. But that shock was quickly replaced with fear.
“Adam,” she said as she retreated behind the desk. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you or the picture—what are you intending to do?”
“What my father should have done ages ago,” he answered as kept marching toward her.
She wisely kept the desk between them. “If you lay a hand on me your father will have your hide,” she warned him.
“It’ll be worth it,” he assured her as he burst forward and managed to corner her.
“Let go of me!” she shouted in French as he took hold of her arm. “I’m still your stepmother!”
“Why should that stop me?” he asked as he dragged the chair out from behind the desk. “Consider this a form of flirtation.”
She slapped him across the face with her free hand. He ignored that as he sat down, fully intending to pull her over his lap. But he reckoned without Little Joe. That scamp appeared from the vicinity of the staircase. He hurled himself at Adam and screeched for him to let go of his mother.
Joe was only five so he couldn’t do much damage, but he was an effective diversion. Adam managed to fend him off, but then he sighed and released Marie.
It was just as well that Joe intervened, he told himself. Unfortunately he had no right to take his stepmother to task. He would have to apologize—and then force himself to show her a modicum of respect.
He glanced over at Marie. She looked ashamed and overwrought. He took a step toward her and placed a hand on her shoulder. She responded by leaning against him and bursting into tears.
Just then Little Joe decided to launch a second attack. Adam swore as the tyke managed to grab hold of his hand and bite it.
It was going to be a long night.
LINK TO PART FIVE
No comments:
Post a Comment