Monday, May 12, 2008

The Old Deringer, Part Twenty-Six

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG

LINK TO PART ONE

~

Spring 1880

I knew about Mr. Harris and my sister. Neither Adam nor Mr. Harris tried to hide it from me—not even in the beginning. I think they both knew that it was too late to shield me from such a tawdry knowledge of the world.

I can’t say the relationship ever shocked or bothered me. I was only glad that Katie finally had a chance to live in style. Besides, their partnership proved to be lasting. She and Mr. Harris are still an item—although they’ll never be married, of course.

Sophie didn’t know about it until she was older. But she took it in stride when she found out. I suppose she had long since guessed that fidelity wasn’t her father’s strong suit. But she knows how to love someone, despite their faults.

That’s one of the things I like best about her.

Spring 1864

“How come we don’t see Sophie’s mother that much?” Liam asked on a carriage ride back to the hotel from Mr. Harris's house.

Adam frowned at that, wondering how best to answer. “She and Mr. Harris tend to live separate lives.”

“But Sophie hardly ever sees her. She says her mother is always calling on people or—or doing charity work—or going to, um, to sories.”

“Soirees,” Adam corrected. “Yes, Mrs. Harris is quite the socialite. That doesn’t leave much time for Sophie.”

“Is that why Mr. Harris is taking up with Katie?’ Liam asked. “Because Mrs. Harris is always so busy?”

Adam shrugged. “Perhaps. Or perhaps Mrs. Harris keeps herself busy because Mr. Harris always has a Katie in life,” he said honestly. “Or maybe it’s a bit of both.”

Liam folded his arms across his chest and slumped in his seat. “Sophie says that her mother’s not happy. I never knew you could have all that money and not be happy.”

“Money’s not a magic cure-all,” Adam told him with a small smile. Then he decided it would be best to change the subject. “When we get back to the hotel, we’re going to get packed. We’ll be leaving San Francisco first thing tomorrow.”

“We’re going to come back and visit though, right?” he asked.

“We will,” Adam promised. “First chance we get.”

LINK TO POST TWENTY-SEVEN

No comments: