by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13
LINK TO PART ONE
A long while later Adam kissed the top of Charlotte’s head as she nestled into the crook of his arm. She gave a contented sigh.
“I suppose I’ll have to forgive you for inviting Thérèse the Terrible here,” she informed him.
He grinned. “Thérèse isn’t the monster you think she is,” he assured her.
“You only lived with her for a couple of months,” Charlotte pointed out. “If you had stayed in New Orleans longer you would know the truth. Besides, she despised you and Kevin for most of that time.”
“True—until we proved ourselves useful.”
She chortled at that. “You certainly did—taking me off of her hands while Monique was ill. Oh, you two must have hated me following you everywhere! What do two eighteen year olds want with a seven year old child in their wake?”
“Shhh,” he said, stroking her hair. “Neither of us minded. You were easy enough to keep in line.”
She glanced up at him and furrowed her brow. “Was I? I’ll have to work on that.”
Adam laughed. “Brat,” he said fondly, kissing her again.
She returned his laughter as she nestled even closer. But suddenly she sobered.
“Do you still miss Kev?” she asked.
He sighed as he rested his head on top of hers. “Every day.”
“I could swear I felt him with us tonight,” she whispered. “I know you think I’m superstitious—but I believe he really did have the sight.”
“Well, you might not think so if you’d heard some of his other predictions,” Adam said dryly.
He paused as his wife smiled and shut her eyes. He smiled too and kissed her one last time before shutting his own.
“But I’m glad he was right about this one,” he finished softly.
Charlotte answered with a peaceful snore. Adam yawned and thought of his friend once more as he drifted off to sleep.
Somewhere in the back of his mind he could almost hear Kev's tenor:
Oh, the sun is on the harbor, love
And I wish that I could remain
For I know it will be some long, long time
Before I see you again
So fare thee well, my own true love...*
Adam shook himself in an effort to shake the voice out of his head. But he couldn't help but smile at the memory.
“Fare thee well, my friend,” he murmured.
~The End~
* Traditional Lyrics
2 comments:
Aww, I love this story! I miss Charlotte and Maureen.
I miss David and Abby too for that matter...
Thanks for posting : )
Francine
Thanks Francine!
I've been gradually posting The New Hand over here, lol--as soon as I finish that, I'll post and complete The Silver Coin. (I need my Adam/David fix too!)
I'll do the same for the Charlotte-Maureen tales...
~Rose
Post a Comment