by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Slash Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13
LINK TO PART ONE
~
Adam eyed the saloon warily. He was standing between David and Joe, squinting at the ramshackle wharf building in the low light provided by the oil street lamps and a few lanterns.
"This is the place?" he asked.
David nodded. "Apparently this is where he spends most of his time."
Joe sighed. "I guess we should go in."
Adam nodded and the three men stepped inside. It was crowded with sailors and the smell of brine seemed to permeate the place. Someone was singing, "What do you do with a drunken sailor?" A number of men took up the obligatory response: "Shave his balls with a rusty razor!"
David ignored the song and made his way to the bar. He handed the barkeep a few coins and asked if Christopher Hastings was present.
Adam watched the barkeep give him a measuring look and then nod toward one of the smaller tables. A solitary man was sitting there, drinking straight from a bottle. He looked bloated now and there were lines under his eyes, but Adam could see the trace of the rugged man who must have once swept Avigail off her feet.
David strode over to him and took the chair opposite him. Adam and Joe exchanged glances and then moved closer to the table. They chose a spot where they would be able to overhear the conversation and keep close watch over both parties of the dispute.
"I’m David Griffin," David said evenly.
Hastings stared at him. "Is that so?" he asked. "I believe you’ve been, ah, keeping my wife."
David nodded. "I mean to marry her. I want you to give her a divorce."
Hastings laughed. "Just like that, huh? Why should I divorce her?"
"Because I’ll pay you handsomely," David informed him. "You stand to make a good profit out of this."
The man laughed contemptuously at that. "I don’t want your money," he said.
David shrugged. "Then we’ll take you to court. Considering what you did to Avigail, I think a judge will grant her a divorce."
Hastings had picked up his bottle, but he put it down at that. "This isn’t a matter for the courts. This is between you and me. If you want Abby, you’ll have to come through me to get her."
He paused to stand up and glare down at David. "Let’s step outside and settle this now. We’ll see if you know how to use that gun you’re wearing."
Adam caught his breath at that. He narrowed his eyes at Hastings. The man was bitter and washed up and he carried himself with the air of someone who had nothing left to lose. He was in earnest—he meant to settle this with blood.
"You’re drunk," David said calmly. "Even if I agreed to a duel, I wouldn’t fight you while you’re in your cups."
Hastings slammed his fist down on the table. "I’ll prove a better shot than you, drunk or sober," he said. "You owe me this, Griffin."
Adam swallowed hard as David slowly rose to his feet and looked Hastings in the eye. "Take the money," he said softly.
Hastings shook his head, pausing only to take one last gulp from his bottle. Then he turned on his heel and walked out of the saloon, clearly expecting David to follow him.
Adam looked to Joe. Joe nodded at him and then stepped outside, determined to keep an eye on Hastings. Adam whispered thanks to his brother under his breath and then walked over to David.
"You don’t have to do this," Adam told him.
David sighed. "I don’t know for certain that a court would free Avigail," he said. "Besides, some would say that this man has a right to demand satisfaction from me."
"Can you handle him?" Adam demanded.
David shrugged. "I don’t know—I’ve never been tested, remember? But if I walk away now, what do you suppose will happen?"
Adam looked away for a moment. "I think he’ll force a fight on you one way or another," he admitted.
"I think so too," David agreed. "Just—just remember your promise to take care of Abby."
Adam nodded. "I will." Then he paused and placed a hand on David’s shoulder. "Shoot square at his chest. He’s going to be aiming in earnest—you’ll have to as well."
LINK TO PART SEVENTY-SIX
No comments:
Post a Comment