Friday, May 16, 2008

Fare Thee Well, Part One

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13

Summary: Adam continues his interracial romance with Charlotte, which brings trouble to Little Joe and sparks some old memories. This story is a continuation of "A Hogshead of Whiskey" and "Better Loved"--but it will stand alone (more or less.)

~

Nevada 1863

Adam stepped outside the house and quietly shut the door behind him. Hoss stood a few yards away from him, chopping firewood.

He’d been at it for sometime now. There must be about two hundred bits of wood ready for the fireplace.

Was it just Adam’s imagination, or was Hoss heaving that ax as if he were decapitating his worst enemies?

Something was wrong. Hoss hadn’t spoken to him all day. Even when Adam asked his brother direct questions he responded with only grunts.

Well, might as well confront him head on. Adam took a deep breath and strode up to him.

“Hey, Hoss,” he said by way of greeting.

Hoss kept chopping.

“Looks like we’ve got plenty of firewood,” Adam commented.

Hoss shrugged—and continued chopping.

“Can I speak with you for a moment?” he persisted.

Hoss set the ax aside. He wiped his brow with his hand and then turned to Adam. He didn’t say anything—he just folded his arms across his chest and waited expectantly.

That was not encouraging. Adam gave him an apologetic smile as he began talking.

“Hoss, I think I must have upset you somehow. But I don’t know what I’ve done. Would you mind telling me what’s wrong?”

Hoss sighed. He unfolded his arms and his whole body seemed to sag. “You ain’t done nothing, Adam. You just—well, you have a right to your opinion.”

Adam furrowed his brow. “What, ah, what opinion would that be?”

He watched his brother shrug and turn away. “It’s not important,” he said as he picked up the ax again.

“Hoss, two hundred pieces of firewood should be enough for tonight,” Adam told him as he stepped up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Now tell me what’s going on. The only thing we’ve been discussing lately is the wedding—does it have something to do with that?”

Hoss was silent for a moment but at length he nodded.

Adam felt his stomach tighten. “Do you have something against Antoinette-Charlotte?” he demanded.

“No!” Hoss said at once. "I like her." He paused and managed a small smile. “But I think she and Little Joe have the same nose for trouble. She might keep you on your toes."

"She will," Adam confirmed with a small smile of his own.

Hoss paused again and his face grew serious. "You two might have a hard time of it, with her being a black Creole and all. But I don’t think you should have to keep it quiet. Dagburn it, Adam, if you buy her a home in town and just stay with her part of the week folks will think—”

“I know what they’ll think,” Adam interrupted as he guided his brother’s arm to make sure he set down the ax. “Believe me; I’d prefer to have everything out in the open. But Charlotte wants it this way—and I understand her reasons. The people who matter to us will know the truth.”

Hoss released the ax and took a step away from all the wood. He stared down at the ground and started drawing a circle in the dirt with his foot. “It’s crazy, Adam. Why are people more likely to leave you two in peace if they think things are like that than if they know that you’re married?”

“Well, it’s a mixed up world,” he answered as he stepped back and leaned up against the house. “Is that why you haven’t been speaking to me today?”

Hoss sighed again and hung his head. “I wish that were the reason. The truth is—well, I’m ashamed to tell you. It’s something—it’s something that I shouldn’t care about.”

“Come on, Hoss. Whatever it is, I’m sure it’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

Adam watched his brother take a deep breath and then look up at him. His blue eyes held a mixture of hurt and embarrassment.

“I overheard you talking to Pa this morning,” he said as a fierce blush spread over his face. “Adam, you told him that Joe was going to stand up for you at the wedding. And you said that it was an easy choice! Now I know that you and Joe are close—despite all the fights you get into. And maybe you are closer with him than with me. But—well, why was it easy?”

Adam felt all the tension in his stomach disappear. In fact, he had to bite back a laugh. So that’s what this was all about!

He smiled at Hoss. “It was an easy choice,” he said, “but I’d better explain. I spoke with Father Patrick yesterday—he said that because I’m not Catholic Charlotte and I can’t have a wedding Mass. We’ll be married in the rectory. He also told me that both witnesses should be Catholic.”

Hoss stared at him. Suddenly comprehension lit up his face. “Oh!” he said. “And Joe—”

“Unlike you and me, Joe is Catholic,” Adam continued, still smiling. “At least nominally—Marie saw to that. I know he had some trouble in his catechism class over that caterpillar incident, but he did manage to make his Communion and confirmation.”

“That’s why it was an easy choice!” Hoss said, grinning broadly now.

“Yes,” Adam answered. “Otherwise it would have been impossible to choose between you two. I love you both, Hoss. I’m not closer to one of you than the other.”

Hoss blushed again and stared back down at his foot. “I’m sorry, older brother. It’s just that when I heard you say that to Pa—”

“I understand. Tell you what—I’ll even prove my devotion. I’ll help you carry some of these two hundred chopped logs inside,” he said as he walked over to the pile and scooped up an armful.

Hoss laughed and followed suit. “Well, you might be grateful for all this wood. It could get cold tonight.”

“Sure,” Adam said, returning his laughter. “You never know with these July nights…”

LINK TO PART TWO

No comments: