by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: R
LINK TO PART ONE
~
My father was writing at his desk as I trudged downstairs, valise in hand. He put his pen down as he looked up and smiled at me. I nodded at him, hoping that he wouldn’t treat this occasion as anything out of the ordinary.
But I underestimated Pa. Not only did he act as if my going into town was the most natural thing in the world--he even managed to chide me for taking so long to pack. Then he reminded me not to stay longer than a week or two.
“We’ll need you back here to oversee the lumber contract,” he said as he rose from his chair and walked over to me. “I don’t want to leave that in Hoss’s hands--he has enough on his plate. And Joe’s already responsible for--”
“Don’t worry, Pa,” I said, cutting him off. “I don’t think Drew and I will be able to tolerate each other for more than a fortnight at close quarters.”
He grinned. “True enough,” he owned. “All the same, I’m glad you’re going. I know Drew’s not the easiest person to get along with, but he seems to have taken good care of you after the stage wreck. It’s only fitting that you repay the favor.”
I shrugged at that. Pa put his arm on my back and together we walked out into the yard, where Hoss was waiting with the buckboard. I put my valise in the back and then climbed up onto the seat beside my brother. Hoss didn't say anything to me, he just nodded amiably. I did my best to return his smile.
I turned my head to stare at the house as we started moving. Pa was leaning up against the post, his expression inscrutable. I managed another nod at him and then turned my head forward, resolving not to look back again.
~
Hoss and I were quiet for most of the ride into town. He must have sensed that I needed room enough to get lost in my thoughts. I hope he also sensed my gratitude.
I tried to prepare myself for the reactions of the people we might meet on the streets of Virginia City. At my request, Little Joe had been honest about the rumors flying around town since the death of Peter Kane in that God-forsaken desert. No one knew for certain if that madman had died from the sun or if I had strangled him.
How would they react to seeing me? With any luck, most folks would leave me be and content themselves with whispering behind my back.
A few close friends of the family--like Roy Coffee--called out a greeting as we passed by them in the street. A few more folks nodded politely. The rest of the people we knew either gaped or suddenly found a reason to look the other way.
Hoss kept up a steady chatter throughout the ordeal, trying to keep my mind off my reception. I nodded my head at the appropriate moments, but inside I was fuming. None of these friends or acquaintances had been trapped in the desert with Kane. None of them had a right to sit in judgment over me.
I was fit to be tied by the time we reached the Monstrosity. I was also dreading my visit in town and trying to think up an excuse to return home. Hoss must have guessed as much. He put his hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eye.
"Don't you fret none, older brother," he said softly. "I doubt any of these folks are going to call on the Claytons while you're here."
"They just might," I said, trying to keep the savage hatred I felt out of my voice. "Can't you see how curious they are?"
"Yeah," Hoss said, "but Drew ain't never been the type to encourage company. Jack Clayton might like to play the grand host, but Drew'll find excuses to shield you from most visitors."
I managed a small, tight smile at that. He was right--I could rely on Drew to slam the door on any inquisitive neighbors.
"You want me to come in with you?"
I shook my head as I climbed down and grabbed my valise. "No, I'm fine. Thanks for the ride, Hoss--I'll see you in a couple of weeks."
He nodded and flicked the reins. I turned toward the Monstrosity and drank it in.
It was, I believe, the most hideous mansion I'd ever seen. My descriptions of its Gothic pretensions couldn't begin to do it justice, so I won't make the attempt. I'll just say that my sympathy for Drew increased a hundred fold.
At length I walked up the steps and rang the bell. The butler bowed me inside. He took my hat and valise and handed them off to a footman. Then he led me to what appeared to be one of many withdrawing rooms. From the sound of things, Drew's valet--Brian--was reading the paper to him.
The butler knocked once and then opened the door. Drew and Brian both stood up as the butler announced me.
I haven't described Drew yet. I once told him that he was like Little Joe--too pretty for his own good--but, if I wanted to be objective, I'd have to admit that Drew was even more attractive than my little brother. He was beautiful in the classic sense of the word: he was tall and lean, with aristocratic features that included high, delicate cheek bones, an aquiline nose and a proud, determined chin.
He had only two imperfections--but they seemed to enhance his beauty rather than detract from it, for they gave his face more character. His hazel eyes had a disconcerting whiteness to them and some of his teeth had grown in crooked.
We stood there awkwardly for a moment and then Drew collected himself. He dismissed Brian and sent his butler after some coffee. That left the two of us alone.
He held out his hand to me. I stepped over to him and shook it warmly. That seemed to break the ice.
"Please sit down," Drew said as he resumed his own seat. "I'd offer to take you on a tour of the Monstrosity--but I don't know this damned rabbits' warren well enough yet."
I grinned. I was the one who had christened the mansion 'The Monstrosity'--and then Hoss and Little Joe had gleefully spread the term throughout town. I don't know if it had come to Jack Clayton's ears yet, but Drew had accepted it with fairly good grace.
"As I recall, I'm here to help you learn your way around this warren," I said as I took a seat opposite him.
"True--but I'd as soon we wait until my brother drags you around it at least once. Otherwise we'll have to take a map, a compass and three days' rations."
I laughed outright at that. Drew, I could see, was on his best behavior at present. No doubt we'd be at each others' throats soon enough, but I found myself hoping that we wouldn't reach that point for a while.
"I didn't even ask you if you wanted a chance to freshen up from your trip," Drew remarked with a note of apology in his voice.
"Not at the moment--but I wouldn't mind a bath before dinner."
He nodded. "I'll see that one's prepared for you."
He paused after that, seemingly at a loss for words. I was afraid that another awkward silence would lapse between us--but suddenly he gave me a crooked smile.
"Would you care for a game of chess, Adam?"
LINK TO PART THREE
4 comments:
Good chapter...Really can't wait till we meet Drew's brother..he must be a handful. And since I'm imagining Drew, I think I'll imagine him looking like a young"Gregory Peck", because he was so handsome, but refined. Probably not who you see at all. Did you ever see the movie, Duel in the Sun. Joseph Cotton and Gregory Peck...I will always think that Dortort found Bonanza in that movie. Looking forward to the next chapter.
~ Kaci
Thank you so much, Kaci!
I'll admit that I picture Christian Bale as Drew (I also pictured CB as David Griffin--heck, I use him for quite a few oc's) but I can certainly see a young Gregory Peck in the role as well.
I have never seen that movie, but I shall immediately add it to my Netflix list!
~Rose
Very enjoyable chapter...poor Adam, looks like Drew is already cheering him up.
Francine
Thanks Francine! I think Drew is very good for Adam and vice-versa--it'll just take them both a while to realize it!
Post a Comment