Thursday, April 24, 2008

The New Hand, Part Sixty

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Slash Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13

LINK TO PART ONE

~

Adam let himself into his suite a few minutes later. David was lying on the bed, reading, but he paused to glance up and greet Adam.

“Shouldn’t we be preparing for our investigation?” Adam asked him, raising his eyebrows at the fact that David was just lying there.

David set the book down and cocked his head at him. “I’m not sure,” he answered. “I heard a rumor that the investigation is just a cover—you’re really here to spend time in San Francisco with your catamite.”

Adam grinned as he took a seat on the edge of the bed. “And you think that rumor’s true?”

“So I hope,” David answered, reaching out to lock him in an embrace.

Adam met the embrace with enthusiasm, but when they broke apart he caught David’s face with his hands.

“I heard another rumor,” he told David as his voice grew serious. “I’ve been told that you’re in pretty deep—that you’re willing to play Jonathan to my David.”

David gave him a wry smile. “Oh, I know that rumor is true. ‘Whatever thy soul desireth,” he continued, quoting Jonathan’s words to David, “‘I will even do it for thee.’”

Adam returned the smile as he tousled David’s hair. “I don’t know how to repay love like that,” he said honestly.

“You already have,” David told him. “You’re here helping me uncover what happened to Stephen, aren’t you? And you’ve stuck by me even though my actions caused that boy to commit suicide—at least in part.”

He paused and reached out to stroke Adam’s hair. “You know how I feel,” he said at length. “But I don’t need a declaration of endless love and devotion in return, Adam. I’m willing to take this one day at a time.”

Adam released him and sighed. “I can’t give you a declaration like that—not now. Maybe not ever.”

David shrugged. “I’d rather have your honesty than false declarations.”

Adam nodded. “Well, I’m willing to give you that.” He paused to glance at the clock.

“We still have some time,” he continued. “Sit back—I want to tell you what happened when I was trapped by that madman out in the desert.”

LINK TO PART SIXTY-ONE

No comments: