Thursday, April 3, 2008

The New Hand, Part Thirty-Seven

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Slash Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13

LINK TO PART ONE

~

It turned out to be a simple matter. The rabbi had often seen David in the synagogue—which was not surprising, for David had attended now and again while he was placing his bid for Ed Niles’ contract. But, the rabbi continued, he never stayed, he never chatted with anyone and he never came to study.

The rabbi spoke with a slight German accent and interspersed his words with Yiddish. He tended to refer to synagogue as ‘shul,’ for example.

He had a warm, welcoming tone of voice—David had to admit that. And he wasn’t reprimanding David; he was merely encouraging the young man to become more involved in the community.

Even after David explained that he didn’t live in San Francisco, the rabbi didn’t give up. He was obviously there often enough on business, the old man pointed out.

They were seated at a small table, apart from the rest of the lobby. David looked around to make sure that their conversation would remain private. Once he was satisfied, he stared at the old man for a long moment, considering. Then he decided to take the bull by the horns.

“Rabbi,” he began, “I don’t want to become acquainted with the Jewish community here—or anywhere, for that matter. I don’t live my life according to the law.”

The rabbi smiled. “Young man, do you think that every person you saw in shul this morning was fully observant? None of us are perfect. But if you make yourself more a part of the community, perhaps you’ll find yourself practicing more and more—and you’ll deepen your relationship with God in the process.”

David sighed. “You don’t understand, Rabbi. I’ve committed—and will continue to commit—a toevah.”

Toevah was a word that appeared in the Torah—the first five books of the Bible and the most sacred writings of Judaism—quite rarely. It referred to certain acts that seemed to be considered reprehensible; in fact, it was generally rendered as ‘abomination’ in translation.

David paused to make sure that he had the old man’s attention. “I’m referring to a prohibited relationship between two men," he said point blank. "And don't bother telling me that I haven't met the right girl, because I already tried that. I was married once."

He folded his arms across his chest before continuing. "Now I know you’re not going to condone such behavior, so continuing this conversation is pointless.”

The old man sat back in his chair and began stroking his beard. He did not appear as disconcerted as David expected.

“You’re right,” the rabbi said at length. “I don’t condone such a thing. But neither do I condone those Jews who eat unclean animals. And I don’t condone anyone—Jew or Gentile—who cheats their business partners. Remember, these are also toevot.”

He paused to lean forward again. “David, if we all were perfect, we wouldn’t need Yom Kippur—the Day of Atonement. I hope you will find the strength to stop this behavior. But, meanwhile, practice your faith as much as you’re able and come to shul when you can. And when you come, stay and talk! What harm can a little conversation do? You don’t have to run for the door.”

David smiled despite himself. The old man was persistent; he had to give him that. “Very well, Rabbi. Next time I’ll force myself to chat.”

“Good,” the old man said as he rose from the table. “Come, let’s find a quiet place for Havdalah down here. And then I will take my leave—but I hope to see you again.”

David stood up as well and accepted the hand that the old man held out to him. “Very well, sir,” he said, deciding that he didn’t mind celebrating the close of the Sabbath with the old man. “Then I’ll hail a carriage for you.”

LINK TO PART THIRTY-EIGHT

No comments: