Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The New Hand, Part Forty-Eight

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Slash Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13

LINK TO PART ONE

~

David was not impressed with his first glimpse of Marty. Well, it wasn’t quite his first glimpse. He had met her before, on more than one occasion. But she hadn’t struck him as interesting, so he hadn’t bothered to study her.

Oh, she was a darling to look at. Most men probably found that fresh, wide-eyed innocence appealing. But David couldn’t help but wonder if she was as innocent as she looked.

She greeted Adam with every appearance of surprise and delight. David watched as she hurled herself into his arms and playfully chastised him for failing to let her know that he was coming to San Francisco.

He watched Adam’s reaction through narrowed eyes. As Adam broke apart from her, he wore a look of sternness and indulgence combined—sternness because he would probably reprimand her for her affair with Niles and indulgence because he still regarded her as someone under his protection.

David felt himself relax. It was the look a man gives to a troublesome little sister—not the look that a man gives to the woman he wants to marry. There was no hint of desire in Adam’s eyes, only a degree of forbearance.

Now that he could set jealousy aside, David could take a moment in his thoughts to do Marty justice. She must be more interesting than she appeared, for she had a real genius when it came to her art and particularly when it came to painting portraits. She could breathe new life into a subject the same way David’s mother could breathe new life into a role.

She remembered David immediately and her smile broadened as she greeted him. Apparently he had made more of an impression on her than she had made on him.

“Marty,” Adam told her, “this isn’t strictly a social call. We need to talk to you about Ed Niles.”

Her face went pale at that. “Then you know?” she asked, clutching his arm. “I’m just as glad. Oh, it’s not certain that he’s the one—but he did know my mother at the right time. And he’s willing to support me, as you see, even though I was, ah, born on the wrong side of the blanket.”

David and Adam exchanged glances.

“Are—are you saying that Niles is your father?” Adam demanded.

Marty nodded. “Of course. Why else would he support me?”

Adam closed his eyes and let out a long breath while David smiled grimly. Both men realized that they had just found the missing heir.

~

There was a long moment of silence as Adam and David exchanged glances and Marty looked at them both questioningly.

“What’s wrong?” she asked at last.

Adam considered how best to answer that. “I, ah, think we’d all best sit down,” he said softly.

Marty sank down into a chair and gestured for the men to do likewise. “Why are you upset, Adam?”

He answered with a question of his own. “Marty, did you meet Niles’ son Stephen?”

She nodded. “Yes, I’ve met him. He’s very kind to me—and he likes my portraits. He bought one for his flat. It was one that I based on my mother, before she left.”

Adam glanced at David. His face was neutral, but his eyes were intent on Marty.

“When did you last see him?” Adam persisted.

“Before he left for Europe,” she answered smoothly.

Adam narrowed his eyes at her. Was that a genuine answer or a practiced response? His gut told him that Marty honestly didn’t know that Stephen had committed suicide.

The butler entered with refreshments, cutting off all conversation for the time being. Adam glanced at David again. It wasn’t lost on either man that Niles had provided Marty with at least two servants.

How the devil was Adam supposed to entice her to leave his protection? He still meant to try, even if Niles was just treating her like a daughter.

After the butler left the room, Adam turned back to Marty. He kept the conversation general for a few minutes, talking about her art and the modest success she was beginning to achieve. But eventually he brought the conversation back to Niles.

“Marty,” he said, “I’d like you to consider leaving San Francisco and coming back to Virginia City with me, at least for the time being. Niles is—well, he might be kind to you, but he has a ruthless reputation. And you’re not even sure that he is your father. I don’t think it’s wise to be so dependent on him.”

She smiled at him—a smile that seemed genuine and grateful. “Adam,” she said, “you’ve always worried too much about me. I’m just fine. I should have wrote to you and told you all about Niles, but I knew you wouldn’t understand. But he’s treating me very well and very respectfully, so you can stop fussing over me as if I was still a little girl!”

He managed to return her smile. “I still wish you would come to the Ponderosa—even if it’s only for a visit. I could make sure your grandfather came as well. How long has it been since you’ve seen him?”

“Too long,” she admitted. “I will come eventually, Adam. I promise. Just not now.”

David raised his eyebrows at that and gave her a friendly wink. “I imagine this young lady has any number of beaux beating down her door,” he commented. “It’s no wonder she’s determined to stay here in San Francisco—there might even be one particular reason she’s determined to stay.”

Adam watched Marty blush at the compliment and flash David a shy smile. “There’s no one special,” she assured him. “I just don’t want to leave when I’m finally gaining recognition for my art.”

David nodded and shifted the conversation back to her portraits. At length he drew the discussion to a close and the two men rose to take their leave.

Marty begged Adam to come back and visit her while he remained in San Francisco, which he promised to do. Then he kissed her gently on the cheek and left with David.

LINK TO PART FORTY-NINE

No comments: