by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Slash Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13
LINK TO PART ONE
~
Robert Dennis, the young bank officer, almost ran out of the bank when the clock struck two. It was high time for lunch and he wanted to leave before any fresh disaster occurred.
But where to eat? He was tired of the restaurant closest to him. Perhaps he should walk a few blocks and see what was available. New places were constantly opening in San Francisco.
As he turned a corner he noticed the same old man who had experienced the attack of asthma in his bank. Robert started for a moment, but didn’t hesitate to call out to him.
"Excuse me, sir!" he called as he caught up with the old timer. "Oh, I should finally introduce myself. I’m Robert Dennis. How are you feeling?"
The old man looked surprised to be addressed, but he answered readily enough. And he spoke with that same faint German accent.
"I’m Rabbi Jacobson," he said with a decided twinkle in his eyes. " And how am I feeling? Well, I could be better. I wish my daughter did not live so far from her home neighborhood—it’s a long journey for me."
"So I’d imagine, sir," Robert agreed. "Especially with your asthma."
The old man cocked his head at Robert. "Uh, asthma? Ah, you must have me mistaken, young man. I have no asthma. All the same, it was a pleasure meeting you."
And with that, the rabbi tipped his hat and continued on his way.
Robert stared after him. He’d been positive that it was the same man—although, now that he thought about it, his clothing was slightly different. And perhaps he wasn’t quite the same height as the old timer he had helped in the bank.
He sighed. Perhaps he had just imagined the similarities in the first place. It had been a long day, after all. And there must be plenty of elderly gentlemen walking around with that sort of beard and faint German accents.
But the incident continued to trouble him all the same.
LINK TO PART FORTY-SEVEN
No comments:
Post a Comment