by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG
LINK TO PART ONE
~
Joe stabled his horse in Virginia City and rode with me in my Brougham. We spoke little on our trip to the Ponderosa--partly, no doubt, because of Joe’s dislike of me, but partly because we were each lost in our own thoughts. Each of us, I think, had our minds fixed on Adam.
How would Adam react to me? I was worried about that, but there was a more pressing question: How should I react to him? Should I do my utmost to illicit his temper? Would that cure him of the listlessness that Joe had described?
I felt a knot in my stomach as we rode into the front yard of the main house. Nonetheless, I schooled my features into what I hoped was an expression of nonchalance. I didn’t want Adam realizing that I was as nervous as a schoolboy about to face the class bully.
But that wasn’t an apt comparison, was it? I can be fair enough to admit that. Perhaps it’d be better to say that I was as nervous as a class bully about to face his comeuppance from a senior student.
“Adam’s in the yard,” Joe mentioned as the carriage pulled to a halt.
I nodded and waited until I heard Joe leave the carriage. Then I stood up with my walking stick in hand and felt my way down. Joe told my driver to bring the carriage into the barn and then called out to his brother.
“Hey Adam!” he shouted. “I brought someone to see you.”
I swallowed. Surely Joe’s shout wasn’t necessary? I didn’t know how large the front yard of the main house was, but Adam must have seen and heard the carriage from wherever he stood--and he must have recognized it.
At length I heard him approach us. It was definitely Adam; I knew his tread. He stopped right in front of us and for a long moment said nothing.
“Joe,” he said at last, “please go inside.”
“Don’t you think we ought to invite our guest into the house?” Joe asked. His voice was casual, but I don’t think he fooled either his brother or me.
“In a moment,” Adam said. “Go inside.”
Joe stood there, hesitating, but in the end he did as his brother ordered. I heard him leave my side and head toward the house. Then I heard the front door open and close.
“Why are you here?” Adam asked without preamble.
I weighed my words before answering. Did I want to tell him that Little Joe had asked me here? No--I wanted to keep this between us.
“I came to take you to task,” I said with what I hoped was maddening calm. “You’ve been shamefully neglectful of our mining interests. Whatever personal difficulties you may be having, Adam, surely the mine deserves more of your attention?”
He ignored that. “Why did you ruin Jameson?” he asked instead.
“You know the answer to that,” I said quietly. “To teach you a lesson--to remind you that I’m neither your little brother nor one of your strays. You will kindly cease regarding me as such.”
To my surprise, he laughed. It was a dry, mirthless laugh. “You ruined that man just to get revenge on me? For what? For daring to treat you with the same affection I’d show my brothers?”
“And the same high-handedness you show Little Joe--and the same chivalry you’d show to a child or a woman,” I added, twisting my mouth at him.
He laughed again--again, without any real humor. “You deserve to be treated like a child,” he opined. “I ought to tan your hide.”
If he had intended to infuriate me, he was successful. I threw down my walking stick and raised my fists at him. He responded by grabbing my wrists.
“You don’t even know how to make a fist properly,” he taunted. “You were lucky last time, but you’re going to break your thumbs that way--here, like this.”
He paused to adjust my fingers. I was so shocked that I allowed him to.
“Now you’re ready to hit me,” he said. “Here,” he continued as he brought my fist slowly toward his face, “keep your elbow bent and close to your body and just jab at me.”
I tried to let my fists drop, but he kept an iron grip on my wrists. “Let go,” I spat. “This is ludicrous.”
“You’ve been begging for a fight between us, Drew,” he reminded me. “Isn’t that what ruining Jameson was all about? Well, you’ve got your fight--and it’ll be as fair as I can make it. If you back out now I will take my belt to you.”
That little speech had its desired effect. I jabbed at him just the way he taught me. He took the hit--I struck his eye--and then retaliated by punching me in the stomach.
I don’t know if he held back on that punch, but it left me doubled over and gasping for breath. But he scarcely gave me a chance to recover. He pulled me up by my hair and then punched my stomach again. I knew he’d have me beaten to a pulp before long, but all I could think to do was swing at him.
“Stop!” he ordered. “Wild swings won’t do you any good. You can tell where I’m standing--grab hold of me! You’ve got to get me into a wrestling hold, Drew. That will make it harder for me to punch you.”
That made sense. I was still gasping for breath, but I forced myself to grab his waist in an effort to drag him to the ground. Much to my own surprise, the move worked. We both landed with a thud in the dirt.
He laughed--and I think the laugh was almost genuine this time. “Good job,” he said, sounding as much surprised as I was.
But I had no time to enjoy that little victory. Adam pinned me with maddening ease, rubbing in my pathetic skills at defending myself. I thought he must have worn a mocking expression on his face--but there was no trace of mockery in his voice when he spoke.
“Why didn't Jack try to teach you a little fighting?” he asked. “He’s a good boxer and wrestler.”
I gave a bitter laugh at that--well, as much of a laugh as I could manage. I was still winded. “He always insisted on fighting for me,” I explained. “And, God help me, as much as I love Jack there are times when I despise him for that.”
My words must have shocked Adam--they certainly shocked me. I hadn’t intended to say any such thing when I opened my mouth.
“He’s your older brother,” Adam said, his voice surprisingly gentle. “It’s his job to protect you, Drew. I’d do the same for Joe if he were--”
He cut off his own words.
“If he were what?” I demanded. “Blind? Helpless? Powerless? Yes, I’m sure you would protect Joe if he were any of those things. But he’d resent you for it too. And you wouldn’t understand that, because you don’t what it is to be any of those things."
There was a long moment of silence. “You’re wrong,” he said at last. “I don't know what it is to be blind, but I do know what it is to be rendered helpless and powerless.”
He released me then and got off of me. A moment later he took hold of my arm and pulled me to my feet. He even dusted me off.
“Are you all right?” he asked.
I nodded. "I think so."
“Are you satisfied now that we’ve had our fight?”
“No,” I answered. “I want you to teach me how to defend myself better.”
He laughed a little, but he also sighed. “Drew, boxing and wrestling will never be your strong suits.”
“I know,” I said. “But I’d like to learn as much as I can.”
“Very well,” he said.
I heard him move as he spoke--I think he was picking up my walking stick. He didn't hand it to me, however. He put his arm around my shoulder instead.
“But for now," he continued, "let’s go inside and get cleaned up.”
LINK TO PART SIXTEEN
No comments:
Post a Comment