Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Monstrosity, Part Eight

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: R

LINK TO PART ONE

~

I was hunting Kane through the mine. I had no gun or knife, but it didn’t matter—I didn’t need a weapon. I was ready to kill him with my bare hands.

I could hear that maniacal laugh of his—it was taunting me from just up ahead. I felt a rush of satisfaction just thinking of what I meant to do to him. I wanted him to die; that went without saying. But I wanted him to die slow…and I wanted him to die in agony.

The rocks of the mine seemed to glint at me like mirrors—and suddenly I was in the Monstrosity, in a hall full of mirrors, each one more ornately framed than the last. I could see my reflection everywhere I turned. I smashed my fist or my elbow into each mirror as I came to it. The glass shattered on each, cutting me and bloodying up my hands and arms. But I kept going until I reached the mirror at the end of the hall.

The reflection in that glass was not my own. It was Kane’s—and yet it mirrored me perfectly. I slammed my fist into the glass, but it wouldn’t break. I jabbed at it over and over and even threw my shoulder against it, but it refused to yield.

I collapsed against the mirror, smearing it with blood as I fell to my knees. Then I forced my eyes shut. I was afraid to open them—I was afraid to find out if it was me or Kane in the reflection. I was afraid to find out which one of us I was hunting. Which did I want to carve up with my knife?

“Adam?”

The voice was so near that I jumped at it. I opened my eyes, but everything was dark. There was no lantern to light the hall—or to show me my reflection in the mirror.

But there was no mirror. And there was no blood on my hands or arms—all I could feel was the stiff linen of the long night shirt I had purchased for my stay at the Monstrosity.

“Adam?” the voice repeated.

It was Drew’s voice. He was, as far as I could tell, crouched next to me. I was on my knees, leaning against a door. I strained my eyes, trying to get my bearings.

“I’m all right, Drew,” I managed.

“Are—are you awake?” he asked. His voice was hesitant, I noticed, but not frightened. Well, at least I hadn't scared him off.

“Yes,” I said, nodding. “I am now, at any event. But I can’t see a thing—it’s too dark. Is this the doorway of my room?”

“Yes,” he answered. “Does this—does this happen often? You walking and talking in your sleep, I mean.”

I sighed. “It happens on occasion,” I admitted. “But only since Kane. What did I say?”

“I couldn’t tell—you weren't speaking clearly,” he said.

He was lying. Drew is a surprisingly bad liar for someone so canny. But I didn’t push the issue. I sighed again instead and shifted so that I was sitting on the floor with my back to the door.

“Your brother’s room isn’t in this wing, is it?” I asked.

“No,” he said. “I wanted my own wing.”

“Good,” I managed. “I’d just as soon you don’t mention this to him—I don’t want him fearing for your safety with a madman in the house."

Drew chuckled at that and took a seat beside me. “You’re not mad, Adam. Just angry, I’d wager. That’s perfectly understandable, given the circumstances.”

I gritted my teeth at that. He didn’t understand how deeply these dreams disturbed me. I was not the violent animal that I was in them—or so I told myself. Perhaps Kane was right about me after all.

“Are you going back to bed?” Drew asked.

I shook my head. “No. I’m wide awake now. I'll make my way down to the library and read for a while.”

He fell silent at that. “If you mean to stay up reading," he said at length, "would mind reading out loud?”

I turned my head toward him. I still couldn’t see him well, but I could imagine him trying to screw his face into a nonchalant expression. He wouldn’t want me to know how important this request was to him.

It had never occurred to me that Drew couldn’t simply read to himself when he was awake at night. He would have to wake up Jack or Brian and ask them to read out loud to him.

“I don’t mind,” I told him. “As long as we can find a book we both agree on.”

“Oh, there’s no problem there,” Drew assured me. “As your host I have to abide by your choice.”

I grinned at that. “Good. Let’s find a lantern—I can’t even see you, let alone see our way down the hallway.”

“You can see me,” he said. “Here, give me your hand.”

I cocked my head at that, but I put my hand out toward him. A moment later I felt him take hold of it. Then he brought it to his cheek and I understood that he was giving me leave to explore his face—the same way he had explored mine.

“There,” he said. “You’ll be amazed at what you can see with your hands.”

I smiled uncertainly, but I let my fingers feel their way across his face, noting his bone structure, the texture of his skin and the slight stubble of his beard.

“You’re right,” I owned, letting my hand drop. “It’s a different way of seeing—but still effective.”

I heard him stand up. “We can make our way down the hall without a lantern,” he assured me. “And there are large windows just around the corner—there must be at least a sliver of moonlight for you.”

I grinned again. “You’re determined not to let me rely on my eyes, aren’t you?”

“It won’t hurt you to have an inkling of the way I see things,” he retorted—but I’m pretty sure he was smiling as he said it.

“All right,” I said, pushing myself up and reaching for his arm. “Let’s go.”

LINK TO PART NINE

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dream worked well and I liked the way you included the mirror incident, just the way dreams work puting together the oddest bits of real life.
Drew is really understanding and concerned in a off hand kind of way. Just what Adam needs.

Englishgirl

Anonymous said...

I like the way Adam is letting Drew take the lead, feeling his face. Dreams are strange, I just read the average human dreams two to three seconds...I don't think I believe that, as for Adam that must have seemed like a long dream to him....

Anonymous said...

Very nice chapter. Loved the nightmare sequence. You morphed the different scenes smoothly, just like in a real dream.

I also liked the give and take going on between Adam and Drew. Drew is helping Adam with the nightmare, but gives Adam back a little of his lost pride by asking him to read to him.

Left us wondering what Adam said that Drew may have heard. Naughty, naughty.

By the way, I saw some of the filming of that movie (Public Enemy)yesterday as I left work. It was a real hoot seeing all of the old 1930 antique cars parked around our capitol (which they are using because it looks just like the one in Washington D.C.).

Didn't see any actors of note, though, only extras.

Repete

Anonymous said...

The nightmare scene is excellent. It must have taken quite a bit of courage for Drew to approach Adam, given what he was hearing.

So Adam is going to enter Drew's world for a while...

Francine

Anonymous said...

Excellent writing, Rosemary. You brought to life all Adam's fears and insecurities in that dream and it worked like a charm. Once again Drew is acting like Adam's champion here, coming to his rescue and then drawing him into his own world by refusing to have a lantern lighted, so that Adam experiences the world of the blind. Excellent as I said before, really an exciting read.

I really like the way you describe so many details, like the fact Adam had bought a night shirt for his stay at the Monstrosity, and the way he felt when he saw the last mirror with Kane's reflection, then being found by Drew huddled by the bedroom door.

You certainly build up a lot of tension and it will be fascinating to see how this story ends. Do you have any idea yourself yet, or are you going as the story leads you chapter by chapter?

-KrystynaW

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Hi all! Thanks again for your feedback =)

Englishgirl Thank you--I'm so glad you thought the dream sequence worked well, because I was quite nervous about it. And I agree that Drew is being understanding right now--but we'll see how long that lasts, lol. (He's not used to being the good guy...)

~

kaci The average dreams lasts two to three seconds! That doesn't sound possible...although dreams seem to operate on their own timetable, don't they?

Have you ever had a dream that covered days or years--and then woke up to find out that only a few minutes had passed since you fell asleep? That's happened to me.

I could see Adam's dream lasting only a few seconds, I suppose--but you're right. It would have seemed much longer to him!

~

Repete Lol--I will reveal just what Drew heard, I promise! And soon--I won't drag it out forever ;) (I'm giving Drew credit for trying to be tactful. But I don't know how long he can stand such niceness!)

How exciting to be so close to the filming! You know that I'll be madly envious if you get a chance to see Christian Bale doing his scenes, lol.

HBO used to film a good deal of The Sopranos in my town--we'd see the filming on occassion, though I never got close. But I can point out lots of places that are quite near to me in the opening credits!

~

francine You're right, Francine! I hadn't thought about it, but Drew must have been thoroughly on edge when he heard Adam sleepwalking--and even more so when he heard the things he was saying. It must've taken guts to tend to Adam under those circumstances! Thanks for pointing that out =)

~

Krystyna Thank you so much! Lol--I mentioned Adam purchasing the nightgown (er, shirt) because he sometimes seems to eschew nightwear in the show!

As to the ending of the story--well, I have a basic idea of how it will end. I think it helps that I already wrote For Want of a Brother--the ending of this story has to stay true to the events of that story. And I knew from the start that I wanted to have Drew 'drawing Adam into his world.'

That said, I've left certain things up in the air. For example, I know what I want to explore as far as the Adam/Kane bit goes--just still working on how to do it!

~

Thanks again, everyone!

~Rose

Unknown said...

Mmmmm... I love the face touching, very intimate without being too ackward.

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Thank you, Raven!

That's a great description of the face-touching =)

~Rose