by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: R
LINK TO PART ONE
~
Lunch at the International House was not the torture I expected. “Don’t worry,” Drew had told me in advance. “The spectacle of a blind man clinging to your arm with one hand and his cane with the other will distract our good citizens from your return to society.”
He proved correct. I had never noticed before, but many people forgot their manners when Drew was in their vicinity. I watched them stare openly at him. I suppose they felt that since he couldn’t see them, their rudeness didn’t signify.
“Are people gaping at me?” Drew whispered as we made our way to a quiet table in the back.
“Yes,” I whispered back.
He let out a soft chuckle. “What did I tell you? As long as you have a blind fellow at hand, you’ll never be the center of attention.”
I grinned at him as we took our seats. “True—but should I feel guilty about using you as a shield?”
“Not at all,” Drew assured me. “I don’t mind being of service.”
I grinned again, but then I noticed the party at the next table. Mrs. Herford had leaned over to ‘whisper’ something to her niece, but her voice was quite audible. I distinctly heard the words, “...some poor fellow named Peter Kane.”
I glanced at Drew. He was taking a sip from his glass of water, but I knew he must have heard Kane’s name as well. He has keener ears than I do—he has to rely on them, after all.
I swore under my breath. “Sometimes I wish to God that I had stood trial for Kane’s death,” I said, keeping my voice quiet. “Then everything would be in the open—people wouldn’t be wondering if I went mad in the desert and murdered a man.”
Drew smiled at that and set down his glass. “You’ll have to live with their conjectures—but only for a little while. People have short memories, Adam. And no one here knew Kane personally. Did he leave any grieving relations behind, by the by?”
“No—no one came forward, at any event. And his death was well-advertised.”
“So much the better,” said Drew judiciously. “That makes things less complicated.”
I frowned. “I don’t know—I wish he’d had family. As it is, he left nothing behind but blood and death.”
“He saved your life,” Drew reminded me. “And—no pun intended—but he left his mark on you.”
I rolled my eyes. “The mark of Kane,” I said. “Yeah, he did leave that.” I picked up my own glass of water and stared into it. “How do you do it, Drew?” I asked. “How do you get through each day without despising Tom Haley?”
He took his time about answering that. “For a while, I was almost as attached to Tom as I was to my brother,” he said softly.
I stared at him. I think my mouth even dropped open. He must have sensed that, for he smiled suddenly.
“You must think I’m insane, considering what that man did to us,” he said. “But remember, Adam, that he also taught me chess and figures. And he took the time to read to me. But, most importantly, he told me over and over that I didn’t have to be useless just because I was blind. No one had ever told me that before—not even Jack.”
He paused. “I used to take good care of Tom when he was drunk. The best care I was able to, at any event. Jack wouldn’t, you know. Well, sometimes he’d make certain that Tom got to bed and got his boots off, but that was all. Jack always said that it was better not to be too kind to Tom when he was drunk because that would only encourage him to drink more. I suppose he was right.”
I shut my eyes for a long moment. Drew must have sensed my discomfort. “What’s wrong?” he asked.
“It’s—it’s disturbing to think of you as so attached to that man,” I said. I hadn’t intended the remark to be cutting, but I couldn’t disguise the edge to my voice.
Drew didn’t miss that edge. He bristled up and glared in my direction. “God help you, Adam. You want to reform people and make them perfect. I suppose that’s admirable, but you’ll never be able to live with Kane’s memory if you don’t lower your standards."
He paused again to take another sip of water. “Tom—well, what do you want me to say? I know what he was. But that doesn’t change the fact that I stand in his debt. And I don’t mean just the money he left us. If it weren’t for him, I’d have never taken an interest in finances. I’d have sponged off of Jack for my entire life. As things stand, at least I have some value.”
I thought that over. I could almost see his point—I could understand his desire to pull his own weight.
“Besides,” Drew concluded, “Tom wasn’t always such a bad fellow.”
I rolled my eyes again. “You say that only because there haven’t been enough good people in your life.”
“Just as well,” Drew retorted. “Judging by you, good people can be quite tedious.”
We were interrupted by the waiter just then, which was just as well. It gave us time to cool off—otherwise I can’t answer for what would have happened. But as it was, we each placed our orders and waited for the waiter to leave before returning to our conversation.
“I don’t mean to be tedious,” I snapped.
“Good. I can only assume you’d be unbearable if you were putting any effort into it,” Drew snapped back.
That almost caused me to grin—almost. But I was still annoyed. Nonetheless, I made an effort to control my temper.
“What happens if I can’t find a way to live with his memory?” I demanded.
“You will,” Drew said as he fiddled with his glass. “You just have to stop holding yourself to ridiculous standards. I don’t know anyone else who would be so filled with remorse at Kane’s death—and I don’t know anyone else who would torture themselves for acting in self defense. It’s time you got off your damned pedestal.”
I twisted my lips at that. “Why should I? So I can be grateful to Kane for almost destroying me? So I can thank him for what he did—as you apparently look back and thank Tom Haley?” I paused to sigh in disgust. “I don’t intend to make my peace with Kane the way you’ve made yours with Haley.”
Drew said nothing for almost a full minute. And when he finally spoke, his voice was tight with anger. “I don’t have to answer to you for any affection I might feel for Tom,” he said slowly. “I’ll deal with his memory anyway I bloody well please.”
I just looked away, repulsed by his twisted charity toward the man who had abused him. Neither Drew nor I said another word to each other for the remainder of the meal.
LINK TO PART FIFTEEN
4 comments:
Wow, that was an intense scene. At least the conversation, as heated as it was, kept Adam from backing out of the meal when he heard the people next to him whispering about Kane.
I like the way you allow Drew to defend his thoughts and feelings. His experience was totally different from Adam's, and Adam just can't wrap his head around Drew's reactions.
Drew has already analyzed and compartmentalized that part of his life. He doesn't want or need to reopen the wounds to look at it from another perspective. It happened; he took away all of the positive aspects that he could, and that is that.
I think your portrayal of Adam in this situation is right on. He is going through the "victim" stages of trauma and he wants to share his feelings about his attack with a fellow victim. But Drew isn't acting like a victim and that leaves Adam feeling even angrier.
Well done!
Repete
Excellent chapter. Drew is full of surprises - I'm glad he flatly declined to identify as a victim, or to justify his feelings to Adam.
That said, the fact remains that he genuinely is a victim. As Adam tried to point out, if Tom had been a good person he would have given Drew all those things without preying on him.
Meanwhile, Drew can't understand Adam's feelings about Kane's death because Adam has had a (comparatively) normal life, and therefore does feel very much victimized by what happened.
This is a very compelling story.
Francine
Awesome. I love the complexity you put into these chapters. That Drew has focused on the positive is beyond Adam’s comprehension, but it’s not uncommon for victims to identify with their tormentors. Adam is still in the anger stage, Drew is well beyond that point. I think the difference in their ages at the time of the abuse would have some bearing on their very different attitudes as well. We won’t even get into the difference in personality and character.
At least he got Adam out in public. I wonder if Adam realizes how good Drew is at manipulating him? ;)
Keep writing!
~Jee
Repete Thank you so much! I was nervous about this scene. I didn't want Adam coming across as too harsh with Drew--for Drew does have a right to deal with his past as he sees fit. So I'm glad that Adam's reaction was understandable. And you're absolutely right--at least his conversation with Drew kept him glued to his seat!
~
Francine Thank you! I think you raise an excellent point: Drew is still a victim. As I mentioned above, he should be allowed to deal with his past however he sees fit. However, as you point out, a good man would have helped Drew without preying on him.
That's exactly what Adam was getting at--but he was too annoyed to explain himself properly. I hope he does a better job of it if he tries again!
~
Jee Thank you! Lol--yes, Drew is a master manipulator (especially, I suspect, when it comes to Adam.) I think you're right that Drew identifies strongly with the man who abused him, and that's a common enough (and understandable enough) reaction.
I hope that Adam will both allow himself to understand Drew's side of things and yet somehow manage to explain that Drew had a right to be treated without decency (and without abuse.)
~
Thank you all, again, for such thoughtful comments!
Rose
Post a Comment