Monday, May 26, 2008

The Monstrosity, Part Thirteen

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: R

LINK TO PART ONE

~

Drew and I returned to our rooms to freshen up before lunch. I was just buttoning on a clean shirt when I heard a knock at my door. “Come in,” I called out, thinking that it was Drew.

But when I turned around I found myself staring at Jack. I should have guessed that—Drew doesn’t generally bother to knock.

Jack nodded at me and then glanced around the room. His eyes lingered for a moment on the empty spot in the wall where the mirror had hung, but he said nothing about it. At length he turned back to me, studying me.

“What can I do for you?” I asked as I finished buttoning my shirt.

He shrugged. “I just wanted to tell you that I’m glad you’re here,” he said. “I appreciate you helping Drew to learn his way around our new home.”

I reached for my cufflinks as I answered that. “My pleasure,” I said easily. “I do have some concerns for Drew, however. Have you given any thought to what might happen if there was a fire here?”

“Yes,” Jack answered. “That’s the primary reason I’d like to move to this wing—even though my little brother wants to keep it to himself.” He paused to sigh. “It’d be different if Drew’s valet could room with him, but Brian’s a married man now and living in the servants’ house.”

I nodded. “Well, as I understand it, the closest exit here is the back stairs that lead to the kitchen. I’ll have Drew practice that this afternoon.”

Jack smiled at me suddenly. “I know what Drew did this morning—smashing up the dining room, I mean. That hasn’t daunted you?”

“No,” I said, shaking my head. “It’s—it’s a complicated house, Jack. I can understand his frustration.”

“When I was building it, I didn’t realize that Drew meant for me to build a separate house for the servants,” Jack explained. “I thought that Brian would either be in his room or in a room close at hand. That would have made things easier for him. And to make matters worse, Drew is fighting the idea of me moving closer to him. He doesn’t like to admit that he needs looking after.”

He paused again and gave me a level, measuring look. “He doesn’t mind your presence though, thank God.”

I nodded again, wondering what his point was. I was only here for a fortnight or so, after all.

“Adam,” Jack continued, “you spend a good deal of time in Virginia City. And I know that when you have more than one day of business in town, you put up in a room at the International House—but you could just as easily stay here.”

I considered that. “If you mean for me to stay here, in the room opposite of Drew, he should be the one to invite me,” I said cautiously.

“Will you accept the standing invitation if he does invite you?”

I thought that over—but not for long. “Yes,” I said. “But I can’t say how often I’ll be in town. Sometimes I stay for a week at a time. But other times a month might pass before I step foot in Virginia City.”

“Oh, that’s understandable,” Jack said, brushing aside that concern. “I’ll feel better when you are here, at any event. And I’ll room in this wing when you’re not. In fact, if you could convince Drew to accept that idea, I’d appreciate it.”

I grinned. “What makes you think he’ll listen to me?”

Jack smiled back at me. It was a surprisingly self-deprecating grin on his part. “Oh, I think your word carries more weight with Drew than mine does these days. I’m trying not to mind that—I suppose that’s how it should be.”

I raised my eyebrows at him as I finished fastening my cufflinks. “What do you mean?”

He rolled his eyes at me. “Adam, we’re both men of the world. You needn’t worry—I won’t breathe a word. I love Drew beyond all things and I’d never allow him to become fodder for the gossip mills. And don’t worry about Brian either. That lad is thoroughly loyal to Drew. If he guesses anything, he’ll keep his mouth shut. And, ah, meanwhile I’ll be sure to give you and my brother plenty of privacy when you’re here.”

I stared at Jack for a long moment as his words sunk in. He was under the impression that Drew and I were lovers—that’s why he wasn’t jealous of my supposed influence over Drew. He didn’t think of me as an ‘adopted’ brother to Drew and therefore didn’t consider me a rival.

I was torn between a desire to laugh and a desire to correct him. In the end, I did neither. To own the truth, I was impressed with Jack’s devotion to his brother. I knew that I wasn't Jack’s favorite person and it must have annoyed him to think of Drew on such intimate terms with me. But he was willing to overlook that for Drew’s sake.

“I’ll talk to Drew about you staying in this wing when he would otherwise be alone,” I said at last. “And if he asks me to stay here whenever business brings me to town, I’ll jump on the offer.”

“Good,” Jack said, rising from his seat. “He will ask you—he already asked me what I thought of the idea.”

He held out his hand to me. I shook it heartily and then watched him leave the room. But I smiled to myself as he shut the door behind him—Jack and I had seldom been on such good terms. Funny to think that it was based on a misunderstanding.

~

I strode over to Drew’s room after Jack left and walked in without knocking. Brian was with him, waiting to help his master into his waistcoat.

“Afternoon, sir,” Brian said with a friendly smile.

“Afternoon, Brian,” I returned. “I’ll help Drew from here.”

Brian nodded and handed me the waistcoat. Then he turned to Drew. “Anything else, sir?”

He shook his head. “Not at present.”

Brian nodded again. “I’ll get to work on these shirts, then,” he said, scooping up a handful of mending. Then he took his leave of us.

Drew, meanwhile, held out his arms to me so that I could assist him into the waistcoat. “What brings you over here?” he asked.

“Did you give your brother a mistaken impression about us?” I returned as I helped him shrug the waistcoat on.

Drew flashed me his crooked grin. “Why would you think such a thing?” he asked as he began to button up.

“Because he seems to think that I’ve taken you for a lover,” I said as I leaned back against his dresser and folded my arms across my chest.

There was a glint in Drew’s eyes as he answered me, but he kept his face admirably straight. “How odd,” he said. “I wonder what made him think that—do you suppose he saw you punish me out in the yard?”

I rolled my eyes at that. “Drew, what did you tell him?”

Drew grinned again. “Actually, I didn’t have to tell him anything. He leapt to that conclusion all on his own. I just didn’t correct him—did you?”

“No,” I admitted. “I suppose I’d rather have him thinking that I’m in love with you than regarding me as a rival to his brotherly authority.”

“That’s what I thought,” Drew agreed. “And I can’t say I blame him for his supposition. I told you before, Adam, that few people are willing to put up with me.” He paused and cocked his head in my direction. “You’re not in love with me, are you?”

“No,” I said emphatically.

He nodded. “I didn’t think so. Just as well—I’m not really the passionate type. Although perhaps I should fall for you. I've never had an unrequited love before. It might prove interesting.”

“Don’t bother,” I advised him. “Unrequited passions aren’t nearly as romantic as they’re cracked up to be. I wasted my first year of college mooning after a girl who wouldn’t look my way.”

He smiled. “All the same, I don’t think the experience would hurt me.”

I grinned back at him. “No, I don’t suppose it would. But instead of viewing me as an older brother or as someone beyond your reach, why not just view me as a friend?”

He took his time about answering that. “I don’t know, Adam. When it comes to the pair of us, the word ‘friendship’ seems far too generous on one hand, and strangely inadequate on the other.”

I sighed as I considered that. I knew just what he meant.

"But don't worry," Drew continued. "I'm not really in love with you. And even if I were, I wouldn't moon over you."

"I know," I said. "And I'm not worried. Come here and let me help you with your hair.”

He stepped over to me and handed me the comb. I ran it through his hair, tidying it up for him. But then Drew surprised me by placing his hand on my arm.

“I’m sorry about biting your hand earlier,” he said softly.

“That’s all right,” I said. “I’m sorry about taking you to task the way I did.”

He looked surprised at that. “Are you really?”

“No,” I owned, grinning. “I just said that to be polite. In fact, if you don’t agree to let your brother stay in this wing when I’m not here, I’ll spank you in earnest.”

“When you’re not here?” Drew repeated, ignoring my threat as he raised his eyebrows at me.

I shrugged. “Well, I do stay in town from time to time. Jack seems to think that you’re going to issue me a standing invitation to bunk here.”

Those strange, sightless eyes of his danced in amusement. “And I take it that you’ll accept that invitation?” he asked.

“I will,” I said.

“Good,” he said. “Then consider yourself invited.”

I set the comb down on the dresser. “Thank you,” I said.

But he shook his head. “No—thank you. I know what it costs you to stay in a house you despise. And I know my company can be trying.”

“I may despise the house, but I don’t despise the company,” I assured him. “Now will you let Jack stay in this wing when I’m not here?”

He shrugged. “It doesn’t sound like you’re giving me much choice.”

“I’m not,” I said. “So it’s settled?”

He shrugged again. “I suppose so,” he said, looking—for once—quite docile. But then he straightened up and gestured imperiously. “Help me on with my frock coat,” he ordered. “It’s high time we left for lunch.”

LINK TO PART FOURTEEN

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this chapter, Rosemary.

I can't help disliking Jack for assuming that Adam is Drew's lover instead of his friend, as most siblings would do. After all, why shouldn't Drew have friends like anyone else?

Well, disliking Jack is par for the course...

Francine

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Thanks, Francine!

You bring up a good point--why did Jack leap to that particular conclusion?

Perhaps Jack's not all that familiar with the notion of friendship himself. He guesses that Drew has strong feelings for Adam but doesn't know how to interpret such feelings except in a brotherly or sexual context. He doesn't want to think of Adam as being brotherly with Drew--'cause then Adam would be infringing on his territory--so he goes with option B.

I think that's the logic that was going through my head, anyway!

Thanks again,

Rose

Anonymous said...

Rose,

Now that was a surprise. But it really works in the framework of the story and their histories.

Considering what happened to them when they were young, Jack might readily assume a sexual relationship since Drew has never been able to make a friend before.

And Adam is so clever (and broadminded), he doesn't correct Jack.

In spite of Drew's remarks, I think he already has fallen in love with Adam. He just can't admit it. That also explains why he was willing to help Jack's killer avoid the noose. In the deal, he ends up with Adam, at least for a few years.

Great chapter. Can't wait to see more.

Repete

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I had forgotten that both Jack and Drew (when powerless) were exploited and/or abused by everyone they knew apart from each other. So it's not really surprising that Jack wouldn't be familiar with friendship.

I agree with Repete - as we know, Drew's love for Adam (and blackmail) was at least part of his motivation for forgiving Jack's killer.

But I still don't like Jack : )

Francine

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Repete~Thank you--that was just beautifully put! In fact, I think you explained the situation much better than I could've, lol. I think you're probably right about Drew being in love with Adam. I wasn't sure (Drew keeps his cards close to his vest) but I think you and Francine have convinced me.

~

Francine Hehe--as I said above, I think that you and Repete have convinced me that Drew is, indeed, in love with Adam. I wonder if Adam realizes that? Right now, I'm thinking he doesn't...

~

Thanks again, guys, for all your support and encouragement!

~Rose

Anonymous said...

Interesting situation between Adam and Drew...I feel this is going to be like a duel between them...which will result in a different association Adam has dealt with before with others.

Kaci

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Thank you, Kaci!

It's great to have you back--I hope you had a wonderful holiday =)

I think 'duel' is a perfect word to describe Adam and Drew's relationship. It's a friendly duel--well, it might not have been so friendly in the past, but they've gotten beyond their old rivalry =)

Thanks again!

~Rose

Anonymous said...

Another well-written chapter.

Yes, I can see Adam being worldly (and secure) enough to not overreact to Jack’s suggestion just as I can see Jack reaching the conclusion he does, particularly if the only other conclusion in his mind is that Adam is a better brother. (It would appear Jack also has no reference points for having/being a friend.)

From what we know about the interaction pre/post timeline of this story, Drew being smitten with Adam in that manner and perhaps not realizing it for what it is would certainly explain a LOT about their relationship, lol. (I chuckled at how you had Adam chastising Drew for deceiving Jack…very accurate characterization…and that Adam used the situation to get Drew to agree to the terms.) Good dialogue, too, but I don’t know that the Jack/Adam Adam/Drew conversations would have taken place quite so casually considering it’s a time period when even the suggestion of inappropriate behavior could result in ostracism.

Interesting turn, definitely unexpected…can’t wait for more:). ~Jee

J. Rosemary Moss said...

Thanks Jee!

I take your point about the time period. Here's my justification (poor though it may be):

Drew and Adam have already spoken of such things--they started innocuously enough with a discussion about Shakespeare's homoerotic sonnets (ok, ok--even I couldn't have them use that term), then Drew risked confessing his past and pushing Adam to talk about what Kane did to him. So I think Adam and Drew--at least when they're alone--would be comfortable enough with each other to discuss the subject casually.

It's harder to justify the Jack/Adam discussion taking place so casually. However, Jack came into that conversation believing that Adam and Drew were already involved--and believing that he had confirmation of that from Drew. So that's why I had him bring it up matter-of-factly to Adam. (He was hoping to reassure Adam, actually.)

Finally, I don't think Adam, Drew or Jack are automatically horrified by anything outside the middle-class strictures of their day, and maybe the could sense that about each other. Ok, that's a big maybe. But that's the best justification I can come up with ;)

Thanks again!

~Rose