Monday, March 10, 2008

The Eyes of the Wind, Part One

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG

~

“Drew, are you sure about this? You can still change your mind.”

I turned my head toward my brother and rolled my eyes at him. “I’ll be fine, Jack,” I assured him. “It’s only San Francisco--not half way around the world.”

We were standing in my bedroom. I was rummaging through the top drawer of my dresser, allowing my hand to search for the cufflinks I kept there.

“It’s still a long journey by coach,” he pointed out. “I could come with you.”

I didn’t miss the petulant, pleading note in his voice. He was put out by my bid for independence--put out and worried sick.

“Jack,” I said, “I’m taking my valet and a footman. Between the two of them, I’ll have all the help I need.”

I found the cufflinks as I spoke. I had only two pairs--and they were different shapes, so that my hands could easily distinguish one pair from the other.

“Besides,” I continued, “we need you here. Old Jenkins might put his claim up for sale any day now. If you’re not here to snatch it up, the Cartwrights will.”

My brother sighed with a combination of resignation and disgust. “Very well--I see there’s no dissuading you. Remember, once you’re in San Francisco, for the love of God keep to the hotel. For a deal of this caliber our business associates will all come to you.”

“I know,” I snapped.

Jack placed his hand on my shoulder. “Drew, San Francisco’s a rough place. It’s crawling with vagrants and thieves. Worse, the streets are nothing but mud and the hills are even steeper than the ones here in Virginia City.”

I heard what he left unsaid: it’s no place for a blind man to be walking about--with or without servants. It didn’t occur to my brother that I might want to sample the restaurants and theatres of the city. That, it seemed, was not to be thought of.

“I’ll hire a carriage when I wish to go about,” I promised.

“No, you’ll stay put in the hotel. Drew, you were young when we were last in California. You don’t remember how dangerous that place is. We’ll find a time when we can go together. Then I’ll take you all around the city. ”

I bit back a sharp retort. I was my own man, was I not? I couldn’t fault Jack for being over-protective--that was his duty as my older brother--but he didn’t need to know everything I planned to do once I was in San Francisco. He might try to wrangle the information out of the servants when I got back, of course, but by then it would be too late.

With that in mind, I forced a smile on my face. “Jack,” I said as I hooked the cufflinks in place, “I’ll come back in one piece. I promise. Now will you walk me to the stagecoach? It must be past ten by now.”

I heard him pull his pocket watch out from his waistcoat. “It’s almost quarter past,” he said. “You’re right--let’s get going.”

I felt for my cane and quietly breathed a sigh of relief. I’d been afraid that he would find some last minute excuse to keep me in Virginia City. But perhaps even he knew that he was stifling me. I needed some semblance of independence or I would suffocate.

It was a short walk to the stagecoach station, so we made our way by foot. I used my cane with one arm, but I allowed Jack to take my other. The servants followed behind us, carrying both their luggage and my own. All that I needed fit into one valise; it was not to be a long stay.

I heard a familiar baritone as we reached the station. “No, just one ticket, Jeb,” he was saying. “My Pa can’t spare both me and my brothers.”

“Yeah,” a tenor confirmed. “Adam don't want any competition for the all those fine women in San Francisco.”

Laughter followed that remark, but I found myself raising my eyebrows. I recognized the voices of Adam and Little Joe Cartwright. Allen’s laughter was part of the conversation too, as was the hearty guffaw of Hoss Cartwright.

Adam, it seemed, would be my companion on the stage. Now what did he want in San Francisco? Not just some pretty company--that much was certain. Was he after the same deal I was?

I almost hoped he was. Adam and I had competed for the same prey before. And we both owned shares in the same mine, which had us locking horns over the operation of it. We'd each won some and lost some against the other. And each time we'd gotten a taste for the other’s blood--and I reckon we were both eager for more.

The Cartwright boys must have noticed us approaching, for I heard my brother call out to them. “Hello fellows,” he said.

He stopped walking after that, presumably to shake hands. I stopped as well and unhooked my arm from his. Then I switched my cane to my left hand and held out my right hand.

Each of the Cartwright boys took my hand in turn. I could tell which was which, even before they said my name in greeting. Little Joe’s handshake was casual. Hoss’s was meaty and vigorous. And Adam’s was cool and deliberate. It was lingering too--I was pretty sure that he was looking me over as he stood there, taking my measure.

“You’re on your way to San Francisco?” Jack was asking Adam.

“I am,” he confirmed. He was speaking to my brother, but I could tell that he was still looking at me.

“So is Drew,” Jack said. “Looks like you’ll be traveling on the same stage.”

There was relief in his voice as he spoke. Jack had no love for the Cartwrights--they had stood in his way too many times--but he must have thought that Adam would keep an eye on me despite our differences. But Jack should have known better. Oh, not that Adam wouldn’t offer me his help. But I’d be damned before I’d accept it.

“It looks like we will,” Adam returned. “It’s a long trip. I’ll be glad for the company.” His voice was smooth and diplomatic--I’ll give him that.

“So will I,” I said, flashing him a crooked grin.

And I meant what I said. Adam and his family might be a thorn in our side when it came to business--but I couldn’t wait to take him on again.

LINK TO PART TWO

No comments: