by J. Rosemary MossGenre: Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG
LINK TO PART ONE
~
Little Joe could tell that something was up. Pa had to ask Adam a question three times over supper before he got a response from him. Adam’s thoughts were miles away.
And they must be pleasant thoughts, judging by his face. Adam’s eyes had a warmth and a glow to them that Joe hadn’t seen before—not even when he was half heartedly courting Laura Dayton.
Joe bit back a grin and wondered who the new girl was. Then he shot a glance at Hoss. Hoss had noticed their older brother’s expression too, but for some reason he wasn’t happy about it. No, he had a hard, worried look on him.
Joe made a point of cornering Hoss in his room before he turned in. “All right, spill it,” he said when he was sure that Pa and Adam were out of earshot. “Who does older brother have his eye on? And why don’t you like her?”
Hoss looked down at his feet. “Dagburn it, Little Joe,” he said in a harsh whisper. “I don’t even know the girl; I just watched Adam walk with her. But she sure is pretty. And I heard her coax a laugh out of him as soon as they met.”
“Then what’s the problem?” Joe demanded.
Hoss blushed. “Joe, she’s a black woman. Or part black, anyway.”
Joe stared at him. “Are you funning me?” he asked.
Hoss shook his head. “No. Now it don’t bother me none—and I hope it don’t bother you and Pa—but there are folks around here who will make their lives a living hell.”
“There sure are,” Joe agreed as his face turned grim. “Leave it to Adam to make things as difficult as possible.”
“Joe, can he court this girl? I mean, can a white man marry a black woman?”
“I don’t know,” Joe answered, shrugging his shoulders. “But why not? Some men have Indian wives.”
“Yeah,” Hoss agreed, “but I don’t know if they had legal weddings. And anyway this is different. He might have to—well, you know. Set her up in her own place in town.”
Joe sighed. “Well, let’s not worry about it yet. He only just met the girl, right? Besides, if people give them a hard time, we can flatten some faces.”
“I think we can plan on flattening quite a few,” Hoss said glumly.
Joe forced himself to smile. “Cheer up, Hoss. I’ll bet the girl is a sweetheart. Besides, anyone is better than Laura.”
LINK TO PART THREE
No comments:
Post a Comment