Saturday, March 8, 2008

The New Hand, Part Nine

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Slash Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13

LINK TO PART ONE

~

Adam allowed himself to sink into his old arm chair—the beat up, comfortable one that he refused to part with. It was too hideous to show downstairs; even he had to admit that. So he kept it in his room instead. One of these days he would have it reupholstered so that it wouldn’t be such an affront to aesthetics, but it would keep for now.

He picked up the book that he had left on the arm. Just a few pages and then he would put out his lamp and turn in for the night.

But he couldn’t focus on the book. His thoughts turned back to David Griffin.

David was certainly proving himself a valuable employee, Adam thought wryly. He was a fast study when it came to ranching. He’d been here only a little over a month, but he already understood his duties. He was also hard-working and conscientious. If only he were honest, he’d be perfect.

A rap on his window distracted him. He set his book down and glanced toward it. Someone was on the other side, poised on the roof of the porch.

It was David. Once again, Adam found himself admiring the man’s audacity. He got up and opened the window.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

David grinned. “I come bearing a fine scotch. Care to share it with me?”

Adam sighed, but he couldn’t stop himself from returning David’s smile. He climbed out the window and joined David on the roof. Both men took a seat with their backs to the house.

David handed him the bottle. “L’chaim,” he said.

Adam raised his eyebrows at the Hebrew expression, but responded in kind. “To life,” he agreed. Then he took a long swallow.

He was pleasantly surprised. “This is a good scotch,” he owned. “Where’d you find it?”

“In your wine cellar,” David answered matter-of-factly.

Adam nearly choked. “You broke into the wine cellar?”

“I had to,” David explained. “Your father hasn’t entrusted a key to me yet.”

“Don’t hold your breath,” Adam advised. “You didn’t break the door, did you?”

“Of course not—I wouldn’t be so careless. I picked the lock.”

Adam decided to accept that with equanimity. “How much did you steal?”

“Just this one,” David assured him. “And it’s not stolen—you own it, after all. You’ve just kindly consented to share it with me.”

Adam smiled again and took another swallow. “Where did you learn to pick locks?” he asked as he handed the bottle back to David.

“Oh, I grew up in the theatre,” he answered after a gulp. “Along the way I worked with a few stage magicians.”

“Are your parents theatre folk?”

David smiled thinly. “My mother is. She’s made quite a name for herself.”

“Who is she?” Adam asked, his curiosity piqued.

He took another swallow before answering. “Josephine Levine.”

Adam felt his mouth drop open. “Josephine Levine! But she’s—”

“A famous and brilliant actress,” David supplied. “Yes, I know. And yes, I’m aware that she’s coming to Virginia City. She took the trouble to write me about it. I gather that she expects me to attend at least one of the dress rehearsals—care to join me?”

Adam narrowed his eyes at him. “Is this a peace offering?”

David shook his head. “No. This is just a temporary truce—effective for tonight and effective for whenever the dress rehearsal is.”

Adam chewed on that as the two men sat and drank in silence for a few minutes.

“Why have you called a truce?” Adam asked at length.

“Because I have to tell you something,” David explained. “Something that you have a right to know. It’s about Stephen. But I’ve got to get myself good and drunk before I’ll be able to tell the story again.”

Adam regarded him thoughtfully. “I take it that you want to be drunk but still coherent?” he asked at length.

David nodded as he took another swallow. “That’s the goal, yes.”

“In that case, you’d best follow me back to the wine cellar,” Adam told him as he accepted the bottle back again.

“Why?”

Adam grinned. “This stuff is decent—but I’ll show you where we keep the best scotch.”

LINK TO PART TEN

No comments: