Saturday, March 8, 2008

The New Hand, Part Six

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Slash Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13

LINK TO PART ONE

~

David ended up helping Adam unload all the supplies. When they were done, they both took a seat on the porch step to rest up. Adam stared at David for a long moment and then decided to bring up his conversation with Abby.

He told David the whole of it, watching his expression carefully. David didn’t seem angered or annoyed—in fact, he didn’t even seem surprised.

He grinned as Adam finished. "I think Abby’s determined to rescue me from myself," he opined.

"Well, she’s not alone," Adam informed him. "Why don’t you tell me what you’ve got against me—it can’t be just losing the timber contract."

"It’s not," David agreed. "But I can’t talk about it Adam—not now. It’s still too raw." He paused and stared out at the yard.

Adam sighed, thinking how much he’d like to take David in hand and see to the schooling of him. "I can’t fix things, David, if I don’t know why you despise me."

"I don’t despise you," David said at once. "I’ve been trying to, believe me—but it hasn’t been much use."

"Then are you giving up your scheme to ruin me?"

David turned his head and looked him in the eye. "No, I’m not giving up. But I’ll tell you this much Adam, since you insist on behaving so damned decently. If you don’t want me to ruin you, send me away now. Tell me to pack my things and I’ll leave the Ponderosa and never look back."

Adam stared at him, trying to take in his words. He was in earnest—Adam was sure of that.

"Keeping me close is just playing into my hand," David continued softly. "If you don’t fire me now and send me off, it will be too late for me to stop my scheme—I’ll end up ruining you even if I don’t want to."

"I’m not sending you off," Adam returned in a short, angry tone. "I’m not letting you off the hook that easily. Sooner or later, you’re going to have to tell me just what happened in San Francisco and just how you think I wronged you. And you’re going to have to ‘fess up to your own part in the mess—because whatever happened, I’m sure your underhanded bidding had something to do with it."

David favored him with a wry, bitter smile. "It did," he owned. "And once I can face that, I’ll be able to tell you the whole story. So you’re not going to fire me?"

"No," Adam repeated.

"Then, as Caesar said, the die is cast," David noted. "Thanks for being honest enough to tell me about Abby—I’m sure you and she will become the best of friends. You’re both so damned concerned about my welfare."

He stood up then and gave Adam a slight, mocking bow. "I’ll see you in the morning—we’ve got that northern pasture to worry about."

Adam nodded. "Till morning," he agreed, watching David make his way back toward the bunkhouse.

He wondered briefly if he regretted not sending him off. But whatever he was feeling about David staying on, it wasn’t regret. Adam meant to find out exactly what was eating his friend, even if that meant risking ruin.

LINK TO PART SEVEN

No comments: