Thursday, March 20, 2008

The New Hand, Part Nineteen

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Slash Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13

LINK TO PART ONE

~

Ben watched his middle son take another chunk of bread and smile with satisfaction. He couldn’t help but grin at Hoss’s appetite.

“Miss Abby,” Hoss asked, “What did you call this again? It’s delicious.”

She smiled. “Challah bread,” she told him. “It’s traditional to have it at the Sabbath meal. That’s why I decided to bake it this morning.”

“I wouldn’t mind having this every Friday night,” Hoss assured her.

“I saw you braiding the dough earlier,” Joe put in from across the table. “I couldn’t figure out what you were doing—but I sure like the result.”

“Me too,” Hoss reiterated. “Tell you what, Miss Abby. If David don’t get back here soon to marry you, I might just beat him to it.”

Everyone laughed at that, Ben included. But as he looked at Abby, he couldn’t help but let his mind wander to San Francisco. Just what kind of scandal were Adam and David embroiled in?

She knew the whole story. Ben was fairly certain of that. Should he ask her for it? Should he demand it from her? No, that wouldn’t be fair. Besides, she would be loyal to her fiancĂ©—and rightly so.

No, he would have to bite back his curiosity. Adam was a grown man, he reminded himself. He could take care of himself.

It was just hard to remember that as a father.

LINK TO PART TWENTY

No comments: