by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG
LINK TO PART ONE
~
It wasn’t long before Adam struck up a conversation with me. He just waited until the businessmen were deep in their own talk, as were my servants.
“How is the house coming?” he asked.
I cocked my head at that. Was this a polite question, meant to put us on easier terms than a mere discussion of the weather? No--certainly not. It was a deliberate jab on Adam’s part.
I knew Adam’s opinion of my brother’s latest folly. Jack was building a mansion smack in the middle of town. Adam had referred to it as ‘The Monstrosity’ in front of Hoss and Little Joe--and those two had happily spread the term throughout Virginia City.
I have no doubt that the term was justified. In fact, I cringed whenever my brother went into raptures about the gilded mansion, its turrets and latticed-balconies. Poor Jack wanted to present himself to the world as a cultured, sophisticated man of solid background. He had yet to learn that extravagance is not a mark of refinement.
Adam, on the other hand, was a trained architect whose judgment, I suspect, could be trusted. My brother had given him the opportunity to design his mansion--but then he systematically rejected each of Adam’s drawings as too plain and austere. I don’t know what Jack expected. Apparently he forgot that Adam was a New England Protestant. Extravagance was hardly his style.
Worse, Jack followed up his rejections by proclaiming to all who would listen that the Cartwrights, poor things, were hopelessly lower class with no appreciation for the finer side of life. But that was no surprise, he would add. Ben Cartwright, after all, had no background to brag of.
My brother never mentioned his own background, of course. We were the sons of a two-bit gambler and his mistress. And the Cartwrights, I need hardly add, have had the last laugh. The only mercy is that Jack isn’t aware of it. He still glows with pride whenever he checks on the progress of The Monstrosity.
I glared in Adam’s direction. “You must be enjoying this,” I said.
“Hugely,” he owned. “Your brother has a few admirable qualities, Drew. But, ah, good taste, I’m afraid, isn’t one of them.”
“And I suppose it’s in good taste to roast me about it?” I retorted.
He chuckled appreciatively at that. “No--it’s not. If it’s any consolation to you, my father would have my hide if he overheard me. My apologies.”
I had to smile at that. “Don’t bother apologizing,” I said. “Just tell me--is it as bad as all that?
There was a long pause. “I think it’s safe to say that your brother will attract all the attention he desires,” he said at last.
I moaned and sank down in my seat, causing Adam to chuckle again. “Stop laughing,” I ordered. “You’re not the one who has to live there.”
“True,” he said. “I can’t say I envy you.”
I rolled my eyes. “I suppose I should be grateful that I don’t have to look at The Monstrosity.”
That caused Adam to chuckle again, but I let out an annoyed sigh. The utter lack of restraint in The Monstrosity was bad enough--but it would be a nightmare for me to navigate it.
I was accustomed to the straight-forward design of our current home. I knew precisely how many steps led to the front door and to the second floor, how all the furnishings were arranged and how each room stood in relation to the others. I didn’t know the kitchen, servant-stairs or servant-quarters as well, of course, but I could find my way to them if necessary.
But my brother designed The Monstrosity as a warren of hallways and staircases. How would I ever learn the layout of it? That thought never occurred to Jack. I could have told him--but he was so damned pleased with his design that I couldn’t bear to spoil it for him. He even had a model of it made up for me to feel. I can remember swallowing all my misgivings and forcing a wide smile on my face as I ran my hands over it.
But I didn’t have to pretend in front of Adam. So I crossed my arms over my chest, sank down further in my seat and resigned myself to hours of complaints from my valet when I ordered him to help me learn my way around the damned rats' lair.
I kept my fears of learning my way around the place to myself, however. Adam is the last man I’d ever confide my difficulties to. I needed him to continue thinking of me as a formidable opponent in business--not as a helpless blind boy.
LINK TO PART FOUR
No comments:
Post a Comment