Richard IIII once promised myself that I would never read or see that play. I had just finished reading Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time and I was convinced that Richard III was nothing but vile Tudor propaganda. The real Richard III, it seemed to me, was innocent of the hideous crimes that Shakespeare's villain commits.
I still think that the historical Richard III was likely innocent. But I got a glimpse of Shakespeare's Richard when I watched Henry VI~Blood and Roses at The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey. He shows up toward the end, struggling to help put his father or brother on the throne. To that end, he even murders Henry VI with his own hands.
Richard is cunning and malevolent but also vulnerable. He despises his ill-formed body. He mocks himself and his disability, winning himself some sympathy from the audience. Derek Wilson played the part with an awkward brace on his leg and another on his arm to show Richard's handicaps. It worked beautifully--even if the real Richard was not a hunchback.
I found myself smiling: what a perfect villain! Perhaps--perhaps the real Richard wouldn't mind being transformed into a such a delicious bad guy. I wouldn't mind, if I were in his shoes.
The Richard III Society has an excellent website giving the evidence for Richard's innocence. It's well worth a look. But Shakespeare's villain is worth a look too. Yes, I shoved my scruples aside and dove into the play. The results were worth the pangs of conscience!
No comments:
Post a Comment