Monday, March 17, 2008

The Old Deringer, Part Eleven

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Fan Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG

LINK TO PART ONE

~

Adam woke up to a shuffling noise. He opened his eyes and gave them a moment to adjust to the near-darkness in the room. Then he rolled over on his side to see if he could make out where the noise was coming from.

He had put Liam back on his own cot after the kid fell asleep. But Liam was up now--and he was quietly going through Adam's yellow coat. In fact, he had his hands on Adam's wallet. Adam narrowed his eyes as he watched the boy hold up various bills to the faint moonlight. Apparently he only wanted bills of certain denominations.

Adam continued to watch him as he narrowed his pickings down to three bills and then shuffled his way over to one of the chairs. He took hold of the plump cushion that rested on the seat, flipped it over and then shoved the bills into a small hole, effectively hiding them in the cushion.

Adam had seen enough. He reached over to the night table and grabbed one of the matches that he had left there. He struck it and lit the oil lamp.

Liam froze at the strike of the match. He turned toward Adam with a wide-eyed look of panic.

"Are you looking for a loan, Liam?" Adam asked dryly.

The boy swallowed hard. "I only took a few small bills," he said. "I didn't think you'd even notice them missing. You can check and see."

Adam sighed. "Come here," he ordered. "You shouldn't be putting any weight on that leg."

Liam swallowed again but he obeyed him. A minute later he was seated on the edge of the bed.

"Why are you stealing from me?" Adam asked. "You've got everything you need right now."

The boy shrugged. "You won't be here forever. That's my--what do you call it?--security."

"I see," Adam said, giving the boy a thoughtful look. "Well, I suppose it's just as well that you have some eye for the future."

Liam peered at him doubtfully. "Are you angry?"

"Yes," Adam answered.

"What are you going to do?" the boy persisted.

"I'm not sure," Adam admitted. "For now, I just want you back in your cot."

"You meant what you said before, didn't you?" Liam asked him, giving him a soulful look. "You said you'd never do worse than tan me."

Adam reached out and chucked his chin. "Yes, I meant that. Go to bed, Liam. We'll talk more in the morning."

LINK TO PART TWELVE

No comments: