by J. Rosemary Moss
Genre: Slash Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13
LINK TO PART ONE
~
Abby stepped out on the porch of the Ponderosa, grateful for the night air. The Cartwrights had been more than welcoming this evening, she reflected. It wouldn’t take her long to feel at home here.
She had been a wreck on the ride over, convinced that Ben Cartwright would forbid her to enter. But he had treated her like a respectable woman, not like a saloon girl.
His sons had likewise treated her with consideration and respect. She knew that David had revealed her marital situation—but there was no way to hide that. The Cartwrights had to know why she might need protection, after all.
They didn’t know that she and David would have a marriage in name only, however. Well, Adam knew, but not the rest of them.
David had played his part well. He held her hand now and again, caressed her back and even kissed her on the lips. That’s how it would always be with him, she supposed. She would have affection from him in public, friendship in private and a cold bed at night.
Still, she could live with that.
The door opened suddenly, jolting her out of her thoughts. She turned to find Adam walking out onto the porch.
He smiled at her. “It’s a lovely evening,” he said.
“Yes,” she agreed. “You have a beautiful home here.”
“Thank you,” he said.
He stepped up beside her and gazed out at the night sky. Both of them fell silent—but it was a comfortable, companionable silence.
“Are you sure you know what you’re doing?” Adam asked at last.
She didn’t need to ask him for a context to that question. She just nodded. “Yes. Considering my past—well, I’ve had more than enough intimacy with men,” she explained. “I don’t mind a marriage based on friendship. Besides, I’ve finally found a nice Jewish boy.”
Adam grinned at that. “And that’s enough to satisfy you?”
She blushed, but nodded again. “Yes. Especially once we adopt children.”
He raised his eyebrows at that. “Has he agreed to that?”
She felt her face turn even redder. “No—but he told me on the ride over that he would acknowledge any child I might have. He just doesn’t seem to realize that I’ve no desire to have an extra-marital affair, no matter what he might do.”
Adam shook his head in disbelief. “He should have known better than to insult you that way.”
Abby smiled. “I didn’t take it as an insult. He was trying to be considerate.”
“I know,” Adam said, returning the smile. “But sometimes I think that boy could use a good 'talking to,' as my Pa would say.”
She laughed. “Undoubtedly. But he means well—at least where I’m concerned.”
Adam nodded, but then he cocked his head at her. “Do you love him?” he asked.
She felt herself blushing again. “Yes,” she answered. “I think I do. Don’t worry about me, Adam. I know it doesn’t sound like much of a marriage from the outside. But I think David and I will deal quite well together.”
He seemed satisfied with that. “Well, in that case I wish you every happiness,” he said. “And I think you’ll be good for David.”
She put her hand on his arm and looked up at him. “Will you try to look after him in San Francisco?” she asked. “I know he can take care of himself, but he’s so determined to find out what happened to Stephen. This Ed Niles sounds like a powerful man who won’t like to be crossed—”
“Don’t worry,” Adam interrupted, winking at her as he took her arm and guided her back toward the door. “I’ll do my best to keep him out of trouble.”
LINK TO PART FOURTEEN
No comments:
Post a Comment