Friday, March 7, 2008

A Hogshead of Whiskey, Part Six

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: PG-13

LINK TO PART ONE

~

When Adam woke up the following morning Little Joe was asleep with his head on his shoulder. Hoss was snoring on the chair next to them.

Adam smiled and gently pushed Joe over, careful not to wake him.

He ignored the splitting pain in his head and made his way out to the barn. He was forced to pause by the side of it in order to vomit the excess whiskey in his system.

He shook his head at himself. He'd think twice before drinking like that again.

He managed to get Sport saddled up and then he rode out a ways, hoping to clear his head. But he found himself making his way to Marie's grave site.

He hadn't visited her grave for some time. He dismounted Sport and walked up to it.

He crouched down and placed his hand on the stone. Then he traced the outline of her name with his finger.

"I should have brought you some flowers, cherie," he said softly. "I'll have to remedy that later."

Once again, the stone was silent.

"Listen, Marie," he said. "I don't remember precisely what I told your son last night, but I know we talked about the time you threw that picture at me."

He paused to look down at his hands. Then he gave her an apologetic smile.

"He doesn't know what I found out about you that day," he told her. "But it was nothing to be ashamed of. And I only promised to keep it from him until he was grown."

He sighed. "Well, cherie, he's an adult now. He deserves to know. I hope you'll understand."

He stood up and tipped his hat at the stone. Then he went back to Sport and rode off to find Little Joe.

~The End~

No comments: