Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Pair of Black Eyes, Part Three

by J. Rosemary Moss

Genre: Fan-Fiction (Bonanza)
Rating: Mature Content

LINK TO PART ONE

~

Adam had to give Bess credit for her audacity—not to mention her skill as an actress. As he turned away from Little Joe, he watched her walk into Roy's office. She looked every inch the innocent victim.

He could understand what Joe saw in her. She had a life and a vitality to her that almost crackled. He wondered how much of that was due to the supposed 'glow' women get when they're expecting.

She walked straight past Roy without acknowledging him. Her eyes were fixed on Little Joe. She even trembled a little as she stepped through the door that separated Roy's office from the jail cell. A nice touch, thought Adam.

Her brother Frank would have followed her in, but Roy detained him and insisted that he give up his gun first. Adam kept his hand on his own gun, just in case there were any problems.

Bess, meanwhile, was still staring at Joe. Adam risked a glance at his little brother. He was standing right by the bars now, his face as hard as if it'd been chiseled from stone.

"I'm sorry about all this, Joe," Bess began.

She was keeping her voice pitched low, as if she were afraid it would break. Another theatrical touch, Adam thought grimly.

"I think—I think you just got carried away," she continued, stammering a little. "I know that you didn't mean to hurt me. We can put this behind us—I know we can, for our child's sake."

Frank had reluctantly handed his gun to Roy, so he was now moving into the room. He said nothing, however. He seemed content to lean up against the wall and glare at Little Joe.

Adam turned his attention back to his little brother. He saw a depth of anger in his hazel eyes that almost frightened him.

"What do you want, Bess?" Joe asked.

His voice was ice-cold. He used no theatrics, Adam noted. Not that he needed any.

But Bess was undaunted. Adam exchanged glances with Hoss. He could see that Hoss, like himself, heard the hatred in Joe's voice. He wondered if Bess had enough sense to recognize it.

"I just want you to do what's best for our child," she told him. "I won't press charges if—if you'll do the right thing by me. I—I want you to marry me, Joe, and give our child a proper home."

Adam turned back to Frank, preparing for his reaction when his brother refused. His hand was still on his gun, just in case. But the refusal never came.

"All right," Joe said softly.

LINK TO PART FOUR

No comments: